Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft per week.

Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    Probably been mentioned before but is 10k better in one day. Due to my family commitments I can only do one big day every fortnight and the other times would have to make it up over the course of the week.
    MUCH better. For head and legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    MUCH better. For head and legs.
    Good point this.

Whether or not several smaller runs or one big run are better for the legs, there's no doubt you can't give your head a good test on anything other than long days. Speaking from personal experience only, struggling on through days when you were convinced you had no chance of doing the BG and doubted your ability to complete even the relatively small day you'd planned were key to getting my head straight for the big day. Getting through those days gives you the steel you might need to call upon come the big day.

I remember training doing the OCT route on my own and my wife picking me up at the end. I was in a pretty bad way and made her promise not to let me even think about doing the BG. Slumped at the side of the car a sweaty wreck I was convinced I couldn't do it. A big meal and a couple of beers later I felt better for that tough day and started to wonder if perhaps the BG might just be possible after all...

If you can do one day of 10,000ft every two weeks for a while I reckon you'll be pretty strong (mind and body!).
    Geoff Clarke

Be assured that you can train for the BG by doing just one day a week. Just make it a good one. It'll be hell to start with but it gets easier. It's also the best way to test food, gear, nav etc.

Cheers for the help. I better get hitting kinder once a fortnight then. And mow cop I can get 3k ft in over about ten miles.

Super Moderator
    spen, don't bother with the 10 miles. Just go up and down the steepest slope as often as you can for an hour (or two). Great mid-week session
    Poacher turned game-keeper

That's what I mean. Ten miles of going up and down the hill in mow cop.

This is will be for lakeland 100 this year and then BG the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post

Apedale for me spen

Is that another good hill?
    Mow cop from ackers crossing is 600ft per mile.

I think I did over 10k ascent in a week three times in the run up to my BG, one of which was in the week of the OCT. I think that if, in your training, you can comfortably get out for one of the middle three legs at just above BG pace and not feel knackered at the end of it, then on the day it's a question of whether you want to keep going for the remainder (given good navigation, weather, eating right etc).

I haven't read all the comments so someone may have made this point already, but it's as much about descent as ascent.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain