Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft per week.

I think it's easy to get too wrapped up with this 10,000ft number. You will need to do 28,000ft on the day.
    I reckon a better approach is to do a few long days out, recceing the route and work out what the weakest part of your game is and tailor your training to suit.
    A quick comparison of your split times from summit to summit with those generated by the calculator on Bob Wightman's web site will give you a gauge as to where you need to do the most work.

I found I could get up the ascents in fast times at an easy recce pace, but was struggling to keep to 24hr schedule across the roughest terrain. The descents were also battering my quads. So I tailored my training to suit this by spending a year doing as much racing on Lakes classic type races (to try and up my speed over the rough stuff) as I could with long days out in North Wales where the terrain is altogether rougher and tougher than the BG route.
    The Kinder dozen route and variations of it became a fairly regular training route as the up & down nature of it really knocked my quads into shape.

I averaged around 6,000ft per week in the 6 months leading up to my successful attempt, and this started lower than that but finished higher.

On both my attempts my weakest leg by far was leg 2 (Helvellyn & the Dodds etc.) as I found my body just doesn't want to work between midnight and 5 a.m. I never did resolve that one.
    It's horses for courses.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    On both my attempts my weakest leg by far was leg 2 (Helvellyn & the Dodds etc.) as I found my body just doesn't want to work between midnight and 5 a.m. I never did resolve that one.
    It's horses for courses.
    Simples innit? Start at 5am and do it in 19 hours.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

...so I tailored my training to suit this by spending a year doing as much racing on Lakes classic type races (to try and up my speed over the rough stuff) as I could with long days out in North Wales where the terrain is altogether rougher and tougher than the BG route.
    I think training on rougher ground if you can easily find it is a great idea, although I'm not so sure about doing lots of fell races leading up to a BG. Longer fell races (especially those in the Lakes) and ultra's are great for sure but I'd cut back on the shorter 'sprint like heck' on the downhills stuff, even though they will be great training for your quads. Firstly, and probably most importantly, because of the increased chance of injury - it would be a bugger to put in shed loads of BG training only to turn your ankle in a fast fell race - but also because of the different type of running; i.e. fast and manic rather than steady and purposeful.

In 2012, after my (first) Bob Graham anti-clockwise failed attempt in June, I made the mistake of running the Ingleborough fell race the weekend before my second (and first clockwise) effort in late July. I ran brilliantly (for me) at Ingleborough coming in 43rd out of 187 runners but the race, which is basically a 7 mile sprint up and back down Ingleborough, absolutely shredded my quads. And lo and behold I could still feel my quads going up Clough Head the following weekend. That second BG effort too was smashed by the weather and I bailed at Wasdale but my legs aching 15 miles in wasn't exactly ideal preparation for a BG. I then went on to run Borrowdale Fell Race the week after that and, although I wasn't exactly fast and struggled 'somewhat' going up Dale Head, I was in pretty good nick despite the BG effort the week before. For me I seem to be able to run longer stuff week in week out without too much trouble but, in short fell races, I probably get a tad over competitive and don't think of the bigger picture
    Last edited by Stolly; 17-02-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Funny you should mention the short fell races. My A race for this year was going to be hardmoors 110. Was doing quite a few short fell races and ended up with tendonitis in knee and a sore hip flexor. Two months later and only just back upto speed. Complete rejig of the year which results in doing lakeland 100 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I think training on rougher ground if you can easily find it is a great idea, although I'm not so sure about doing lots of fell races leading up to a BG. Longer fell races (especially those in the Lakes) and ultra's are great for sure but I'd cut back on the shorter 'sprint like heck' on the downhills stuff, even though they will be great training for your quads. Firstly, and probably most importantly, because of the increased chance of injury - it would be a bugger to put in shed loads of BG training only to turn your ankle in a fast fell race - but also because of the different type of running; i.e. fast and manic rather than steady and purposeful.
    Yes I agree with that Stolly, I didn't explain myself very well. I did lots of racing in the year before my BG attempt then cut it right back during the six months leading up to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    Simples innit? Start at 5am and do it in 19 hours.
    Haha..I wish!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Yes I agree with that Stolly, I didn't explain myself very well. I did lots of racing in the year before my BG attempt then cut it right back during the six months leading up to the day.
    I agree too but mainly about racing in general. my first attempt I'd spent the year doing ultra races and this just left me tired and burnt out.
    the following year I did lots of long days in Scotland, proper big hills and 12 hour days meant the lakes hills were small which was nice.

Super Moderator
    Time on feet, climb and descend. Big days out with your mates. Ace...
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that lots of racing is necessarily the way to train, nor am I suggesting that 10,000ft per week or any other "golden rule" is either, or denying that any of these methods will work.

I'm just using an example of how I identified the likely "make or break" part of the round for me and adapted my training to reduce the chances of failure.
    This strategy appeared to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Time on feet, climb and descend. Big days out with your mates. Ace...

....and food and ale afterwards.