Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell running beginner

Fell running beginner

Hi - as the title suggests, I'm totally new to fell running. I've always enjoyed running around the countryside so thought it would be great to get myself fit and take it all to a whole new level. Just wondered what the best way to learn the ropes would be? Am I right in thinking that all races have prizes according to age category, ie 30 - 40, 40 - 50 etc? If I'm right in thinking that, does that mean you can still run competitively regardless of your age??

I live in the dales and noticed a race in Kettlewell. Would this be a good first target?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
    Hi - as the title suggests, I'm totally new to fell running. I've always enjoyed running around the countryside so thought it would be great to get myself fit and take it all to a whole new level. Just wondered what the best way to learn the ropes would be? Am I right in thinking that all races have prizes according to age category, ie 30 - 40, 40 - 50 etc? If I'm right in thinking that, does that mean you can still run competitively regardless of your age??

I live in the dales and noticed a race in Kettlewell. Would this be a good first target?
    Hi Nobby Welcome to the world of fell running, check out the races page on the fra website, they list all/most the races in the handbook, some races require certain skills ie navigation skills or may require previous experience. DT will be along soon I'm sure as they are local runners

It would be common to get a v40 in the top 3 and a v50 in the top 10 so age does not make these guys slow!!

Hi Nobby, I run in the Dales a great deal and know Kettlewell well. Races can be as competitive as you want to make them to be honest. I'm tapping on nowadays but, if and when I run a fell race (which isn't particularly that often) I try my damnedest to come in as third woman (even though I'm not a woman ). Its a bit of a generalisation but far more of the field in a fell race are fighting fit and mountain hard (compared to a road race) so it can be that much tougher to finish at the top end of the race.

Thanks for that guys. Would the best thing to do after getting myself fit be rocking up to a race and seeing what it's all about?

it's not all about racing.
    If you're into clubs, find a local one and learn from experienced runners: you need to know about navigation and hillcraft as much as about running up steep stuff! Spend some time out on the fells exploring, getting used to the environment and trying stuff out. Maybe run the route of a couple of races, rather than race them.

At the end of the day though yes, turn up and get stuck into a race. It's "fun"! I've no idea about stuff near you, but I'm sure there are plenty suitable for a beginner. And yes, age doesn't matter so much. Experience is a bonus. But then, fell running tends to have a slightly older age profile than road running: fewer "young 'uns" around!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post

The Kettlewell race will be BOFRA Kettlewell, the 2014 calendar is not yet out, but will be published after the AGM. Bofra races are flagged and mostly suitable for beginners, Kettlewell is rough underfoot but not a bad first race, you don't need to be a bofra member to run. Bofra races begin with the juniors which tend to follow the same route but not go as far, so you can use the trail of kids to recce the route. I always talk to as many people as i can on the day about the route of a race i've never done before, most can point to the tops or give some general directions which you can use.

Conversely, most FRA races will need basic navigation skills at some point even if the organiser does not specify it as an entry condition. Those requiring navigation skill (NS) should be avoided by total novices, but getting up to scratch is only a matter of practice- check out Ian Winterburn's navigation guide in The Fellrunner magazine.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The Kettlewell race will be BOFRA Kettlewell....
    ....or Peejay's classic Great Whernside race or Abbey Runners' Anniversary race in the summer. All good

There's a lot more to fell running than racing and the dales (especially Wharfedale and Littondale) have some great running
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    There's a lot more to fell running than...the dales (especially Wharfedale and Littondale)
    Spoken like a true Midlander!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Spoken like a true Midlander!
    ...and honorary yorkshireman....