Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes again?

Shoes again?

I have now nearly destroyed my first pair of fell/trail running shoes (Inov8 Terrocs) as the grips on the balls of feet are peeling away and the uppers have got holes in. They are about to die and to be honest in this weather they are not the best when descending.

I would like some recommendations of alternatives.

I prefer longer distance races, Mountain Marathons, adventure races, long sunday runs often run on trails, rocky paths mainly in the yorkshire dales. This means I am looking for something quite sturdy but with some good cushioning. So walshes are out as are the mountain bear ones.

Reckon I want them not to be too aggresive due to terrain and distance. Althought I want them to stick like glue when needed.

Also would like ones that are quite low cut around the ankles as I found the terrocs digged into the ankle bone quite a bit.

Been looking at the Montrail Highlander but do not know anyone who stocks them to try them on in Leeds. The other option is the Inov8 Mudroc 290's.

Any other suggestions?

Wink Re: Shoes again?

I've been very happy with the innove8 Mudrocs. They give good grip and cushioned enough for hard tracks/tarmac. Infact i can't think of any drawbacks to them. I have used these for all my training for the Lyke wake race(ultra) and in Teesdale, Weardale, Debyshire ; on Kinder, on the Edges, Yorkshireman Marathon , Dovedale dipper, Mallerstang Yomp , Rombalds Stride. Basically mate, these are great shoes.

Re: Shoes again?

Have a look at Mizuno Wave Harriers - they tick all the boxes and are dead comfy, but I occasionally slip on shiny wet rock.

They won't fall apart after a few runs like some inov8s...!

(Runs for cover)

david

I found the Inov 290s ok but I destroyed the uppers long before the soles were worn out. That mesh upper is no match for my big toes .

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I found the Inov 290s ok but I destroyed the uppers long before the soles were worn out. That mesh upper is no match for my big toes .
    I'd go with the Mudrocs as well. Mine were still going strong until I lost one of them!
    Good balance of cushioning and grip.

Like all the responses about the Mudrocs. Hope they last like my other ones as they did take a battering that any other shoes would not have handled.

The mesh has got holes due to caving and dragging it across rough rock. Guess that isn't on the activities matrix on the inov8 website so I suppose I cannot complain there.

Will look at the Mizuno's as well as they do look comfy. Just do not look as grippy?

Some good deals on both of them at the moment and get them at £50 or less.

Was also looking at NB RX Terrains as they seem to have walsh like grips yet with better comfort? Is this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I'd go with the Mudrocs as well. Mine were still going strong until I lost one of them!
    Don't throw the other one away.
    Save it for the Fell Relays where, as roadrunner pointed out, you are only allowed to run on one leg!

lol swoop , nice one

With the running that you desciribed I'd definitely go with the Montrail Highlanders. You will not wear them out (until the cushioning goes - which happens on every shoe). I've had/tried almost every other shoe and these by far give the greatest foot protection, the best cushioning and are bomb proof. The grip is far better than I thought it would be as the small lugs grip well on everything apart from when it's really wet.

I still wear inov-8's and walshes for racing and MM's but I use these for all my training and long days out (BG recce/support, welsh 3000's etc). In fact I wore them straight out of the box before a 14 hour effort with no probs.

Not the best for very wet or very technical ground and as they are cut quite high around the ankle they can dig in a bit when contouring.

Out of all the fell shoes I've tried the Mizuno Wave Harriers are by far the most comfy good support and good cushioning. Coped well on Sunday with Coniston which was a tad steep. Most of my running is on trails some hard and some muddy and I've not had any problems yet