Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogs

Re: Bogs

Marko?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

First serious fell race: Crowden Horseshoe last year. After going in, I pretty much gave up and staggered home. It is a very frightening experience.

Not sure how deep I went, but the "high tide" mark on my shirt was at my collar bone (I'm 6'2") - although I did lean forward to get out, it was definitely more than waist high.

I've read that there's no danger of drowning, but if you get stuck there is a risk of exposure.

Wainwright records in his book that he went in it at roughly the same point on the then Pennine Way - a passing ranger (how many of those do you see?) had to pull him out.

Chest deep for me but it could have been worse as my rucsac stopped me sliding in any deeper. It was spring time by Cartledge rocks and at dusk with no one else around. Couldn't ring for help or blow a whistle(for what good that was) as they were in my pack. very shook up and very smelly when I got out. it can't happen again though as the area has been paved over!!!!!!

last year heading to outer edge saw a runner go in to their armpits, one minute he was there the next he was gone!

I've been up to the waist on winter hill crossing from the trig point to the pigeon tower. Also fell in a bog on high street up to my waist as well when I was out walking one day. Winter hill is a scary place one minute its nice and solid the next your up to your knees in bog

I have only been up to the waist, must try harder!

Chest deep for me down in the New Forest. Luckily I managed to haul myself out before sinking any further. Was quite scary at the time

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    bleaklow has some very deep ones
    Ah but ... Martin Stone extravaganzas notwithstanding (and a crouch is definitely recommended) for really, really bad bogs, you have to give the prize (wooden spoon?) to Tanky who waits until you're absolutely well and truly banjaxed before throwing you into the Kinder crossing.

Just like those old gibbet stories (where kindly friends and family members would swing on the legs of miscreants to speed their passing), on the first weekend in December, you'll see groups of Dark Peak relatives, friends and familiars gathered on the path behind Upper Tor waiting to give a helping hand to their loved ones.

Or not ... in some cases!!

I know the one you mean RH.... have had a few good mates, who were totally knackered on Tanky's, who had to be pulled out by passing walkers!!!

Surely we have had this thread before..... can Brett, retrieve the old stories, or do we have to tell all again?

Well, maybe we do..... a real classic man/woman eater.... looks like nowt special... just past Cut Gate... heading out in the wastes of winter (2'ish?)... watershedding agin... boggy b*gger nearly had me this year... I was still sinking fast, well past the untrim waist, sack ledged momentarily on the heathered edge... when plucky RC pals plucked me quickly from the morass... took till way past dawn till the short fat legs & other bits regained some semblance of warmth & workability!!! Stank more than a bit too...
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Balls.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Up to my armpits. It was unbelivable, I always thought folk exagerated stuff like it - until it happened to me.

Langstrath Race this year.

Followed Gav Bland on two 'shortcuts' which weren't short, so I gave up on the third 'shortcut' and wish I hadn't. I followed three other lemmings into this bog and I ended up swimming out. I couldn't help but laugh, nor could Gavin as he made some comment about his way being a little easier... It was just surreal to be wading/swimming/struggling through bog that must have been 5 foot deep!
    Why walk when you can run.