Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: billy blands rake

billy blands rake

Is Billy Blands Rake easy to spot from Rossett Pike?
    Is it basically the most obvious grassy line, or is there some trick to finding it which isn't necessarily the most obvious way?

If you mean the ramp up to Bowfell below Hanging Knotts, the trod is easy to spot as you head off of Rossett Pike but it can soon get lost in the rocks (don't stay too low at the start); mind you its all about scrambling in the right direction . There sure as heck isn't a grassy line. I'm not sure there's an exact one route anyway but there are little cairns dotted about marking the route of sorts and, in good visibility, its fairly easy to get up there.

Edit: Who called it Billy Bland's Rake?
    Last edited by Stolly; 05-03-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Super Moderator
    Be careful when you're up there and dismantling the cairns as you progress not to dislodge rocks on anyone below . . .oh, and don't listen if you're with Fellgazelle and he starts describing avalanches just as you near the steepest and most exposed section
    Poacher turned game-keeper

No idea. I think it started on here a few years ago. They were certainly known about and used on earlier rounds. I think Bob Graham himself may have used them, will have to check.

To RSK: As Stolly says, they are pretty easy to spot from Rossett Pike (if it's clear). I posted some shots on here a long time ago. Here's the link: http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/images/...fell-rakes.jpg
    Last edited by Bob; 05-03-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Super Moderator
    Good point from Stolly: the line is higher than you sometimes imagine. Most important possibly is knowing when to ascend out of the 'rake'
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Be careful when you're up there and dismantling the cairns as you progress not to dislodge rocks on anyone below . . .oh, and don't listen if you're with Fellgazelle and he starts describing avalanches just as you near the steepest and most exposed section
    Haha, good point DT, always worth taking ear plugs if you're running with me as I'm usually talking sh*te.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I think the key point is that coming from Rossett there is (was?) nothing on the lower section of the slope to define a line for you. The rakes themselves are further up and across so you'll need to work out how you gain them.

We had no problems finding this line clockwise on the day, but I've never been able to find it anticlockwise subsequently.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    We had no problems finding this line clockwise on the day, but I've never been able to find it anticlockwise subsequently.
    I remember there being a strange "trough" (for want of a better word) running across the ridge/plateau at the point where you drop down. This is just before the short climb up to Hanging Knotts. It's a while since I've done it anti-clockwise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I think the key point is that coming from Rossett there is (was?) nothing on the lower section of the slope to define a line for you. The rakes themselves are further up and across so you'll need to work out how you gain them.
    There's a faint path leading directly from the top of Rossett Gill over the rocky bluff to the foot of the rakes and there's a slightly better defined path leading leftwards to the foot of the gully that then leads to the rakes. I've done the former on anti-clockwise runs and the latter on clockwise runs. I don't think there's much in it. Going left and then up has the advantage that you pass several springs so if it's a hot day it might be better.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    The 'art' of getting the ramp off Bowfell anti-clockwise is:

a) find the top, (which is pretty easy)
    b) scramble down in roughly the right direction (pretty obvious even in crap weather but a bit hairy in places)