Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Can we trust the police?

[QUOTE=Mossdog;685757]

There's a saying in Equestrian Coaching: 'You can take a rider to knowledge, but you can't make them think'.

Mmmh. Not quite Dorothy Parker but still quite neat
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

The definition of a pogrom is a massacre of particular ethnic group.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/disp...10803100333359

In all the reports I have read, (and those that Witton Park has read by his comments at the bottom), the attacks were on everyone they encountered including at least one, easy to identify, Muslim woman.

This is not a religious war, and the worst thing possible would be to try and turn it into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    One group attacked the other, butchered civilians, some were Thai agricultural workers. They took around 300 hostages, women and children.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The definition of a pogrom is a massacre of particular ethnic group.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/disp...10803100333359

In all the reports I have read, (and those that Witton Park has read by his comments at the bottom), the attacks were on everyone they encountered including at least one, easy to identify, Muslim woman.

This is not a religious war, and the worst thing possible would be to try and turn it into one.
    I think it's perhaps fair to say that the target was one particular ethnic group and the others were collateral damage, or maybe just youthful exuberance
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think it's perhaps fair to say that the target was one particular ethnic group and the others were collateral damage, or maybe just youthful exuberance
    I believe it was an attack on a country rather than an ethnic group or religion; one of the reports I read said they put twenty bullets through a Muslim woman, and then there are the Thai agricultural workers you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I believe it was an attack on a country rather than an ethnic group or religion; one of the reports I read said they put twenty bullets through a Muslim woman, and then there are the Thai agricultural workers you mentioned.
    I did mention the Thai workers - my perception is as I set out, collateral damage.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

It makes me wonder if the leaders gave instructions to their troops to kill everyone, or whether (like you say, WP) they were out of control. The seemingly indiscriminate killing of civilians and non-Israelis has certainly had a big impact on the way it has been perceived around the world.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    All I know is that Armistice Day is on Saturday and Remembrance Sunday is on, err, Sunday and both will have events at the Cenotaph.

I also suspect that the wet, woke and spineless Met Commissioner, Mark Rowley will be out of a job by the middle of next week.
    Well, you were right that someone was going to lose their job over this issue. Fortunately our PM had the wisdom to know who deserved to lose their job.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Well, you were right that someone was going to lose their job over this issue. Fortunately our PM had the wisdom to know who deserved to lose their job.
    Yes, can't have someone in the cabinet that says things that are true.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Yes, can't have someone in the cabinet that says things that are true.
    Braverman was deliberately stirring things up; last Saturday's demonstration would probably have been no bigger than the demonstrations on all the previous Saturdays if she hadn't intervened, and the EDL thugs who attacked the Police must have been encouraged by what she was saying.

It has got to the stage where I have been wondering if Braverman was a Labour Party mole, who had infiltrated to the highest levels of the Conservative Party; her increasingly disgusting statements seemed designed to persuade the majority of decent, well-meaning Tory voters to stay at home at the next General Election.

Meanwhile Sir Mark Rowley had looked carefully at the law regarding policing of public demonstrations, and made his decisions following what the law said. I understand that members of the Government who were rather dissatisfied with this are considering changing the law, which is their prerogative (if they can get such a change through Parliament). But Sir Mark did what the law required, and it was disgraceful to attack him even before the event had taken place.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Braverman was deliberately stirring things up; last Saturday's demonstration would probably have been no bigger than the demonstrations on all the previous Saturdays if she hadn't intervened, and the EDL thugs who attacked the Police must have been encouraged by what she was saying.

It has got to the stage where I have been wondering if Braverman was a Labour Party mole, who had infiltrated to the highest levels of the Conservative Party; her increasingly disgusting statements seemed designed to persuade the majority of decent, well-meaning Tory voters to stay at home at the next General Election.

Meanwhile Sir Mark Rowley had looked carefully at the law regarding policing of public demonstrations, and made his decisions following what the law said. I understand that members of the Government who were rather dissatisfied with this are considering changing the law, which is their prerogative (if they can get such a change through Parliament). But Sir Mark did what the law required, and it was disgraceful to attack him even before the event had taken place.
    Not sure about a Labour Party mole, I thought she was a National Front one from the offensive statements she made recently.

As for Sir Mark Rowley, he has shown that his judgement was better than the former Home Secretary. Had the march been banned I am sure there would have been far more trouble, both on the day and afterwards.