Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: champs eligibility query

champs eligibility query

Does anyone know what the eligibility rules are for juniors in terms of scoring in the FRA junior champs?

In the rule for competition section of the website I found the following but wasn't sure if it applied to juniors:

"To be eligible to count in British and English Championships, English clubs must be
    affiliated to England Athletics and English athletes must be registered with England Athletics OR be
    members of the FRA."

Some of the younger members of our club will probably run in the U12s this summer but have never registered with EA because they've never raced outside our local leagues.

Any advice would be welcome.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

I think you just highlight another reason why the whole fra rules,regs etc need a full review.
    I'd suggest you just register the runners with EA as it will open up other options which will aid their development and experience.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The unwritten philosophy behind the junior championships is to encourage junior fell running. Everyone is welcome to enter a championship race regardless of country of birth or residence, or club membership. In 2013 21 'Unattached' runners took part and scored points in championship races.

However, I have been instructed to not allocate individual championship points if a runner was not born and is not resident in England. This also applies if a runner originally eligible through birth or residency subsequently represents another Home country. Both situations are very rare occurrences. The club championship is, as stated in the FRA Handbook only open to EA affiliated clubs. Note that the qualifying period for transferring clubs is applied, when allocating points for the club championship.

Allocation of race prizes is at the discretion of the RO. The exception is the uphill only championship, which is a one off race within the overall series. Medals and trophies will only be awarded to runners eligible through birth or residency, and EA affiliated clubs.

Put simply; enter your junior runners, and have fun. If you have any specific queries about an individual's eligibility contact the Junior Co-ordinator. As Richard says, there are other benefits to registering with EA, but I am not aware it is mandatory.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    The club championship is, as stated in the FRA Handbook only open to EA affiliated clubs. Note that the qualifying period for transferring clubs is applied, when allocating points for the club championship.
    This is a potential problem.

Clubs have to be EA affiliated (eg if there were a junior wing of the Fell Ponies they would not be eligible to contest the club title).
    But individuals don't have to be.
    The transfer of clubs is run by EA. If a junior athlete is not EA registered but moves clubs then there will not be a qualifying period.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    This is a potential problem..
    It isn't.

Let's say an athlete leaves BBH in April where we affiliate and joins Rossendale (heaven forbid ) who also affiliate.
    That athlete is likely to be ineligible until 1st of June. Possibly later.
    That is policed by EA.

If we have the same movement from Bowland to Ambleside (who don't normally affiliate) they will be able to run straight away. No transfer procedure to speak of, no published movement and date of eligibility.

It doesn't help that UKA Rules are in a mess as well, but a 2 tier system has been allowed to develop and it may create a problem.

For those who aren't aware, all movements of EA registered athletes are published monthly here amongst other places.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

As I said, this doesn't cause me a problem.

The championship points table programs cater for club transfers and any consequent waiting periods.
    Last edited by FellJunior; 24-03-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Clarification for WP

Contradiction doesn't seem to these days.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

blencathra, I hope that the kids will be welcome to run in the Championship Races whether they are affiliated or not, and I hope we always take that view.

If they count for your club team, then all the better, and I hope the teams does well. The Junior Team prize is to encourage friendly rivalry between clubs and is not meant as a EA sanctioned, with all the rules, competition.

As FellJunior says, the Junior Champs races are to encourage junior fell runners.

so is it "The club championship is, as stated in the FRA Handbook only open to EA affiliated clubs." or "friendly rivalry between clubs and is not meant as a EA sanctioned, with all the rules, competition."

It would be helpful if the rules were written as they were meant.

Never mind. I'll leave you two to sort it out.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell