Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Matters

alwaysinjured

Safety Matters

Safety matters (or at least it should matter, but seemingly does not to our committee or chair)

I have been silent recently. But I read with total disgust the chair's comments in fellrunner - in complete denial and ignoring all that has been said on safety by the people qualified to comment on it.

The reality is BUT for luck if any one can call it that, so had Brian Belfield had survived longer, we would have in all likelihood an RO facing negligence charges. And the people who run our sport are seemingly not clever enough to see the close call and near miss they just had.

Like the bosses of concorde years ago, our executive seem content to see fuel spilling out of the wing of a new york concorde flight ruptured by a burst tyre, showing how lucky they were that it did not ignite to a fireball, fortelling the future of what could happen if they failed to act.
    But no.
    Such people had to SEE several hundred people become toast in Paris a few years later with their own eyes before they acted in protecting the wing tanks with kevlar proposed after the first incident. Sure they did a few other things. But not the one that really counted despite the vociferous minority demanding it. Some people are determined to see their house blown down before decide it is windy out there. Make sure the horse has well and truly bolted, is a creed precondition of closing the stable door it seems.

Like Morton Thiokol and NASA. The engineers expressing concern at the cold temperature performance of the booster seals were just a vociferous minority. Ignored until after challenger fell from the sky. Then is time to consider the seals. When seven were already dead.

So it is with our committee.

They continue to peddle the "volente" issue as a defence for RO then undermine it with a myriad of undertakings which provably did not help the organiser of the Grand Raid in france, (our last links) where volente is alive and well, but the organiser now found negligent in worryingly similar circumstances. A different legal system for sure, but volente is a core principle there too which proved to be a chocolate fireguard.

The committee continue to ignore the need to assess, plan and review as the basis of safety.

So assuming safety matters to some of you (other than the committee,obviously)
    Please all take a look at this. Courtesy richard taylor for finding it..

Are RO worried about it? They should be...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...er-died-281027

An organiser cited for "a death contributed to by negligence"

Note the remarks.

"Although the provision of first aid for the event had been considered and the team of first-aiders had been employed, little or no thought had been given to what should happen if an ambulance needed to attend a person at the event"

"The instructions given to the marshals concerning what to do should a person need an ambulance were inadequate."

REPEAT
    "The instructions given to the marshals concerning what to do should a person need an ambulance were inadequate."
    TRANSLATION
    The plan was not good enough and not well enough communicated.

Notice first aiders were present, the problem was the difficulty of getting emergency services close enough, quickly enough to help.

Any safety qualified person knows that it is a simple matter of doing a proper incident plan as part of an overall event plan. The "emergency incident plan" where issues like this are thought through and risks assessed.

That is why documents such as the HSE "event organisers guidelines" refer to such things.
    That is why people trained in managing safety in complex tasks do that kind of think by instinct and training.

So Basic stuff. But not for us it seems. .

Our executive could not care less. They have been told the issue of planning needs to be front of agenda not rules. They are seemingly only interested in not being seen to do a "u turn" on their precious rules.

Not even a change in 2016 to let them "bed in" they pontificate uselessly.

You would have thought after the complete cods they made of the first set of rules, the executive would now retire to the sidelines gracefully and ask for help offered by people trained to know how to do these things, and allow them to do them. As offered by andy. As offered by me.. Not a bit of it. Not even some humility.
    More of the same.

Notice their so called "advisor" completely missed the lack of any reference to emergency planning in the rules in response to that incident above.. Because he is NOT a safety adviser. He is a hindsight wisdom blamer. Not a safety manager. The committee are relying on the wrong man. They have been told that , yet they do nothing.

For those who asked me to join the dialogue. For sure I tried to engage in conversation. I GAVE UP
    No doubt that has been misrepresented too. So here the truth of it.

Because the only item on the chairs "agenda" for a meeting was to talk about the "Misunderstandings" I have of her management - little point - my observations were spot on, and in any event a sideshow to the real issue of safety. The agenda should have been the committee misunderstandings about safety management. It was not even on the chairs agenda for that meeting. Not surprisingly, I was not going to waste my time on talking about her management style....

But that was not the real turn off. You would not believe what she said - apparently I had to "travel to leeds because her time was more valuable than mine" so she told me. I kid you not. Her very words. The sheer arrogance of the lady! The reality is the likelihood of help from me was withdrawn at that point, although it was a while before I said so. I suppose it is a little better than her previous imperious statement I was not "worthy of her time" in a previous email.

No greater progress with our rule drafter who despite a cordial conversation continues to amaze in his lack of understanding of any legal words Having failed on safety words like "hazard" and constitution words like "may" it seems he does not know what a "motion" is either. So little point in continuing that conversation - or his continuing in position as drafter. Yet he is still in position. WHY?

Little point in dialogue with the secretary either since he cannot see the massive and profound difference between skyrunning rules and our own, and indeed - notice the locked gate of that incident above - he had a locked gate in his race, last time I was there, (just like the incident above) which would have stopped all the runners , had someone not hotfooted it back to the start with minutes to spare, for want of a proper plan. Was his emergency plan any better? Did it even exist?

When are you guys all going to wake up and smell the coffee?
    And decide the safety committee needs running by somebody who knows what the word safety management means?

So in answer to the points made in your letter to the coroner Madeleine.

"We believe that the response already given to the Coroner specified actions which go as far as reasonably possible towards preventing such deaths in future."

NO YOU HAVE NOT. NOT EVEN CLOSE. YOU REFUSE TO EVEN HEAR QUALIFIED PEOPLE SPEAK ON THE SUBJECT, LET ALONE ACT ON WHAT THEY HAVE SAID AND WHAT THEY SAY
    Organisers must as a minimum produce a written reviewable safety plan within a framework and templates designed by someone used to safety management planning.

Further she said.. "In the process of continual improvement of our safety procedures we will fully take into account the views, and proposed methodologies, of the correspondents, but their views will not be allowed to dominate the professional advice and race organiser consensus that we receive."

WE ARE THE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE: your adviser is not a safety manager. Why did he not get incident/emergency plan into the rules? Because he is not. I am happy to be in the minority, since in this case it includes all the qualified/experienced safety people.
    Proper safety practice demands a "competent person" leads, and that normal hierarchy is suspended to ensure that qualification and experience does not get outvoted by hierarchy. With good reason. Clearly. As proven here.

And incidentally good RO such as Richard Taylor, and Wynn Cliff for example produce written plans instinctively. And in doing so find a needless conflict between written plans and the FRA documents.

I notice Richard Reeve REFUSED articles on safety for fellrunner from us in case we were "off message" or some such tosh about "taking sides". So What hope is there for safety in FRA? When the media are controlled by a totalitarian state?
    A proper safety officer would find the events such as the above and publish articles on them in fellrunner. We don't have one. It is part of the problem.

Safety should matter. But it does not. Not until there is a regime change.

And with that - which is my answer to the chairs comments in fellrunner - denied me in the magazine proper: I shall resume my silence.

In the hope that someone has a change of mind...Not me, I give up on this.
    The depressing thing about consulting to companies is how most of them ignore the advice unless it lines up with what they are doing : they want advice just to allow them to carry on and defend what they do against internal opposition. But at least it has a "bright" side, you can get paid upwards of £700 a day for wasting your breath in the corporate sphere. Not so here...here I am just wasting it for no good reason, when I could be doing other more useful things.

Sadly I probably won't see you out on the hills, at least for a while. My latest knee problem is serious. Possibly terminal for long running.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 26-03-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Sorry Mike but I read the first couple of lines and got bored

AI, somewhere in all of that are some things that get my attention as a runner in a club who organises a race and doesn't want anyone to get hurt or for the RO to be ruined.

Might i I suggest something? You've worked hard on deconstructing the existing situation and regime. Despite that, I find it hard to easily recall pertinent details. So as well as deconstructing the status quo, could you help ROs that think you're onto something or are at least curious by providing an alternative course of action? Otherwise, banging hard on the door of the committee for all to see will get you more exasperated and moves ROs nowhere.

Now you may have covered this but I think I can be excused for missing it. Many ROs (most I would wager) aren't high profile people in the Fellrunning world and only know their own race intimately. They need concrete help if you think they are sleepwalking into a disaster. Your impassioned pleas only serve to worry them more which is not to say you're wrong or right but reading your long note doesn't help ROs with what to do next.

Please take this in the spirit intended, it's not a dig or a show of support but a plea for clarity for a silent majority that need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Seriously man, did that need saying? The man's clearly bothered about this. I struggled too but how about a bit of respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Seriously man, did that need saying? The man's clearly bothered about this. I struggled too but how about a bit of respect?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Mark. AI does care and he assists in the background with the Anniversary Waltz which as I've run on a number of occasions, I know is a very well organised event.
    He does care a lot.
    I'm sure the committee do as well.
    I just think the committee are wrong on this one.
    It seems even some of the committee do as well looking at other thread on the forum this week.

In terms of concrete help, there are things in place to do this. Some of the ROs that have withdrawn races from the FRA are receiving support in putting a Race Plan together.

There's also other initiatives in the pipeline, possibly a new race run under a draft set of regs, guidelines and Event Plan to test their robustness.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Mark. AI does care and he assists in the background with the Anniversary Waltz which as I've run on a number of occasions, I know is a very well organised event.
    He does care a lot.
    I'm sure the committee do as well.
    I just think the committee are wrong on this one.
    It seems even some of the committee do as well looking at other thread on the forum this week.

In terms of concrete help, there are things in place to do this. Some of the ROs that have withdrawn races from the FRA are receiving support in putting a Race Plan together.

There's also other initiatives in the pipeline, possibly a new race run under a draft set of regs, guidelines and Event Plan to test their robustness.
    That's helpful, thanks. How might someone access that help?

Fellhound
    ... could you help ROs that think you're onto something or are at least curious by providing an alternative course of action?
    Alternative course of action>? With pleasure sir; don't register your race with the FRA and take out alternative insurance. SHR is a good source (free insurance to ROs who are members, just like the FRA). The big difference is, SHR are listening, they value good advice and I'm working with them to refine their rules and safety requirements into something much better for runners and ROs than the silly 17 pages the FRA has imposed.

I'm also committed to helping any 'independent' RO to devise a race plan and am currently finalising, with the RO, the plan for the Pendle Cloughs.

The FRA is not compulsory. They don't have a monopoly. ROs who have misgivings should vote with their feet and join 'the new way'.

That's helpful, thanks. How might someone access that help?
    Contact Fellhound - you can PM him.
    I'm always happy to help if anyone feels I can, but Fellhound is the expert in Safety along with AI.

I'm also happy to share info.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

alwaysinjured
    Could you help ROs that think you're onto something or are at least curious by providing an alternative course of action? Otherwise, banging hard on the door of the committee for all to see will get you more exasperated and moves ROs nowhere.

Now you may have covered this but I think I can be excused for missing it. Many ROs (most I would wager) aren't high profile people in the Fellrunning world and only know their own race intimately. They need concrete help if you think they are sleepwalking into a disaster. Your impassioned pleas only serve to worry them more which is not to say you're wrong or right but reading your long note doesn't help ROs with what to do next.
    Mark I have tried. I have sketched the answers... a lot of times in different places.
    The obsession of the committee with "how Ro comply with rules" has totally overshadowed the fact that rules are the wrong way to manage safety. The problems is no simple answer can cover the bases, so I hope you are prepared to read the following since you asked the question.

There are a number of dimensions. By way of example - the needs of a safety officer to review incidents etc and make recommendations on such as the incident above (BTW an RO have YOU ever seen a review of sailbeck and issues arising? I doubt it - it was never done in the proper way, I will wager the other incidents I have brought up over the months have never featured in discussion either). Also to trial procedures before declare them good practice to state for example the range of runner flows a method can handle. The farce of the "check grids" was caused by failure to do that

But in adition to such things ,a wholesale change in the way races are documented.

I have stated that races are too diverse to operate by a single set of rules, and in any event the rule book would have been no more use than chip paper to the marshalls and helpers at the Sailbeck incident Changing of rules was an inappropriate response to that situation. The over prescriptive approach/laying the law down was kicked out of corporate safety management 40 years ago in 1974 for the reason that approach it cannot work. (Always the first instinct of autocrats)

So I have sketched the solution a number of timesin principle but been refused any opportunity to present it in more detail to those that take the decisions. So for the last time..

What is needed is a written (therefore reviewable) plan for each race, which can be simple for simple races. It increases in proportion to the number of marshalls and interactions involved in critical functions.

In essence it is a task list for each party involved, when to do ,what to do, how to do, what with and what to do on finishing all thought out in advance.

Sections from pre race actions, course set up, through task lists for each of the core officials including the incident plan referred above. The plan has to be written in nominal titles eg "start finish marshall 1" - for which actual names are slotted into a schedule of officials when they pick up the instructions. That makes it far easier to bring new marshalls into a race, or hand a race on to another RO. It also makes it easy to permit.

The sole demands on runners are made through entry instructions/conditions and race day instructions contained as pullout sections of plan. The rules of fell running are there fore simple the RO to create a plan and follow it, and the runner to obey RO instructions (or else!)

The role of a checklist allows the ruling body to ensure a minimum of things are included in the plan, but there is no longer a parallel world of mandates from rules and RO instructions with reams of paper for runners to read through. The entire set of undertakings and obligations of runners and marshalls is contained in that single plan written from guidelines and templates.

We presently have the silly situation where rules ask RO to demand runners to do some things (in generality), the same rules ask the runner to similar things, then race day instructions of the RO also include similar issues have to be read along side all of the previous. A communication nightmare, which cannot be specific because races are all different.

People - particularly those running our safety committee- need to understand that most accidents have multiple causes, but prime contributors amongst them are lack of clarity in instruction and misunderstandings on whose role is what, and poor communication, conflicting sources of information, and people who forget if not tasked on paper. Finally accidents happen when too much is made up on the hoof rather than thought out in advance. The cauldron of an incident is the worst time to have clarity of thinking. That is why all hospitals (for example) have well thought out "major accident plans"

If you look at the evidence from Sailbeck, the lack of clarity in marshall tasking screams out from that evidence (to those experienced enough to read it). Something fell down a crack at start finish, I am sure the RO did know he needed to be careful that all who start actually finish (obvious to everyone). So rules are not a solution. What was needed was precise instruction for people so nothing fell down a crack between people in understanding or communication, with a system designed so one single failing could not lead to catastrophe.

If there was ever an accident at a road crossing for example, it is highly unlikely it would be that the RO had not thought of signage - it is likely to be lack of clarity on who precisely was tasked to do it - and what they were tasked to do. So a thicker rulebook would make no difference. Only a precise plan for the specific race nominating a pre race task for the RO to make sure he has the signs, a task to hand them to someone, and that person tasked to do the signing in specified places. And on busy roads, I would also demand the signer informs the RO of having successfully done it and that they are in position, before the race is even allowed to start. All as detailed checklists for people

It is not rocket science. But too much is done seat of the pants The idea of marshal verbal briefings is wrong (except for unusual things cropping up) - it needs written task lists - including for example exactly WHO should be called or contacted in event of emergency on what numbers, and what to do if that call cannot be made. (see the incident above resulting in coroner verdict of negligence ) You only have to look at that incident to see the problem was lack of planning and adequate marshal instruction. That is what the coroner said, and we not been "lucky" at Sailbeck over time of death, the coroner would have said a lot worse than that.

So the answer is a plan written from guidelines and templates which includes all the entry instructions/ race day instructions for runners.

There is another misconception.
    Brett says elsewhere in respect of kit checks
    "The FRA dictate what you wear and carry, I am happy with that."
    And he is wrong in principle - as are the committee.

First because safety is subjective not objective.What are safe conditions for Alan Hinkes, are not safe for me. Far too much kit for one person, may not be nearly enough for another because bodies react differently to conditions. So the FRA cannot say what is the "right equipment"

Second because FRA must not dictate what you carry. If they want safety to be runners responsibility, the runner has to be made responsible, so therefore has to determine what he needs to stay safe, in expectation of no support, and to withdraw unless he has sufficient experience of conditions terrain and distance to decide that. Every time FRA decide things for runners, they also erode the runners responsibility. So minimum kit has to be stated as a rule for competition ,not safety, and kit checks there to prevent cheating - and the runner has to assess conditions on day, and decide.

So the key is to demand sufficient experience, and force runners to decide in no expectation of support. It is very unwise for FRA to imply marshalls are in any sense a safety support network, not least because perception of risk has a big impact on whether a risk materializes. Runners need to be made to feel less safe, not more.

There are other issues too. The RO needs to give clarity about what level of support they ARE offering. My suggestion to them is as the Waltz, to state that the duty is only to check them in and out, and if anyone has not arrived back a considerable time after anticipated race finish then search organisations will be called. And thats it. That is all you are being offered by the RO. Now those critical functions need double checking to make sure that nothing slips down a crack. So If you want more support than that, don't enter. That will make races safer. Fewer novices taking less risks.

Other marshalls are then a bonus , but not an expectation. And cannot be held to task. They certainly can be held to task for what Graham unwisely about them to the coroner! I will have to opt out of future marshalling since I cannot "enable" the safety of anyone. Only Graham seemingly knows how to do that.

Safety is anticipating and managing the highly improbable, and it takes a certain mindset to do it. It is thinking out the unlikely. Like until we routinely task someone to ensure all marshalls are safe back down, sooner or later a marshall will die out on the fell, having fallen, because nobody noticed him missing. Our "subcommittee" approach to that would be to write a rule "all marshalls to return to HQ" which is not always practical (take such as ennerdale) and misses the issue that someone specifically has to be tasked to check. The races are too variable to prescribe how that is done. Even worse I suspect our present committee would create the impossible obligation for an RO to "ensure the safety of marshalls"

Authoritarian rules are not the right mindset.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 27-03-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Its that the same bloke who had to pull out of a race by wearing inappropriate clothing and almost suffering hypotherma?

Maybe you should take the time to read what Mike says.