Thread: Foolish southerner.

Foolish southerner.

I begin by apologising, which they say you should never do. Despite a Peak District upbringing, orienteering most weekends with Walton Chasers and fell runners such as Rob Little, I moved south some years ago. For this I hope not to get too much stick and hope you'll help.

I, like many i'm sure, have been drawn back to the hills and have a little holiday booked in the Lakes from 8-11 Apr. I looked around and note that the Grisedale Grind is on during my stay not 10 miles from where we're staying.

I can navigate happily and am aware of the dangers and changing conditions having completed many "Quality Mountain Days". I also have a 35 min 10km road PB.

This may sound defensive, but, what can I expect from this fell race graded as AS over 4km? Yes, I have read the safety notes, compulsory kit etc. But if conditions are good I guess people are not going to be hauling a rucksac-ful of kit up the mountain or am I wrong? I will, obviously, be prepared to take it all if the organisers decree that to be the conditions are such and I take full responsibility for my own actions.

So my question is what can I expect? What would you be your thought process when preparing your kit (safety obviously a priority)?

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you in the hills soon.

Toro

I would think it's most likely to be minimum kit for the race which will all easily fit into a bumbag.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to this experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    I would think it's most likely to be minimum kit for the race which will all easily fit into a bumbag.
    at the most, no kit required on my last AS, sunny and clear, some just had vests on.

worth having the kit in your car though as I can name two AS in the peak last year where runners were treated for Hypothermia despite a windproof kit requirement.

Don't worry, i will be very prepared as I want to enjoy this safely and not let rules hinder me being able to do so or lack of kit put me in danger.

Hi Toro welcome and best of luck with the race, if you ever plan to head to the hills and would consider car sharing (family hols aside!) I am on the Northants/Oxon border and would appreciate the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzlar View Post
    Hi Toro welcome and best of luck with the race, if you ever plan to head to the hills and would consider car sharing (family hols aside!) I am on the Northants/Oxon border and would appreciate the thought.
    I'll bear that in mind. I have nothing planned at the moment.