Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7+ portions fruit/veg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377

So there you have it - eat your veggies and live longer. Interesting that dried fruit seems better than fresh.
    In the above article, vegetables score -16% reduced risk but vegetables in a meal only -8%. Is this assuming that vegetables in a meal are over-cooked, or that different inferior ones (eg root vegetables) are used, or that other ingredients somehow detract from their value? Does "in a meal" mean cooked together or just eaten together? Surely most vegetables are eaten "in a meal". Why is frozen fruit so bad that it increases one's risk by 17%? Elsewhere it is claimed that frozen fruit and vegetables can be better than fresh, because fresh are actually comparatively stale. Other studies have found that pulses are hugely beneficial, but here they only rate -5. Are prunes tinned in apple juice really inferior to prunes cooked at home - often with some kind of sweetening? Is a tomato a fruit, vegetable or salad?

I think this study, at any rate as reported here, just muddies the waters and discourages healthy eating.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    I honestly think there's something seriously wrong with society food wise, people can't get even 5 portions of fruits of veggies a day, never mind 7-10.

So much crap on the shelves that isn't proper food it's unbelievable.

Stick to nature and you can't go wrong.
    Mikk can eat 7 Bananas ad ay let alone any veg... I've seen him do it!

7-10 a day. Seems a little low. Did they mean by lunch-time?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Mikk can eat 7 Bananas ad ay let alone any veg... I've seen him do it!
    Just got the weekends banana stash in Ian. 50! 10 banana smoothie in the morning it is!!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Fecked if I know Geoff! I've only just realised that pulses are counted as veg, I am quite good at the veggie practical but not very good at the theory!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    So, in a salad, do cucumber & red pepper count as fruit or veg? I know they are both fruits, but they're not exactly sweet and sugary like apples and oranges.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'