Thread: Kit to take to my first race?

Kit to take to my first race?

Hi,
    I've signed up for my first fell race - the Carnethy 5 Hill race in mid-Feb. I know that I need to take hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle and emergency food. I also know that I need windproof and waterproof full body cover. Any suggestions on which kit to choose?

I ran Ben Lomond last October with my Montane Jetstream over a wool T-shirt, and shorts, and that was fine for a wet Saturday morning. I reckon I'm going to have to pack my Rab eVent trousers this time, plus Paclite jacket, but they're on the big and heavy side to be levering into my North Face Hammerhead pack (they were bought for walking, not running!).

Thoughts?

Chris

Re: Kit to take to my first ra

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post
    Hi,
    I've signed up for my first fell race - the Carnethy 5 Hill race in mid-Feb. I know that I need to take hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle and emergency food. I also know that I need windproof and waterproof full body cover. Any suggestions on which kit to choose?

I ran Ben Lomond last October with my Montane Jetstream over a wool T-shirt, and shorts, and that was fine for a wet Saturday morning. I reckon I'm going to have to pack my Rab eVent trousers this time, plus Paclite jacket, but they're on the big and heavy side to be levering into my North Face Hammerhead pack (they were bought for walking, not running!).

Thoughts?
    Best thing ever on the old forum was the surreal poll about whistles.

Just get some light and cheap stuff and put it in a Pete Bland bumbag.

I'm doing it, for the 6th or 7th time and I'll take my usual gear - ron hill pertex top and a pair of dead cheap waterproof from Tisos, chucked in an old North Face bumbag. What to wear depends a lot on the weather and how long you think you'll be out. If you get a calm sunny day it can be like spring, but if it's cold and windy then the tops are very exposed and you'll be glad of hat, gloves, tights and maybe a jacket. Best not take chances, especially if you're towards the back.

It's a great race, with a cracking atmosphere. Enjoy it.

Cheers, it's good to hear from someone who's survived previous races!

Your brain. On second thoughts....perhaps not

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Your brain. On second thoughts....perhaps not

what do them things do.. ah yes useful for braking whilt descending..

Stop it, you're scaring me...

Oh dear, what have I let myself in for?!

would a kitchen sink be considered excessive?
    maybe idea for a new race, everyone has to carry a sink to the top of the ben and bring it back.......just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    would a kitchen sink be considered excessive?
    maybe idea for a new race, everyone has to carry a sink to the top of the ben and bring it back.......just a thought
    I once took a gallon of 80 shillings to the top of the Ben and brought it back.

I did the Carnethy 5 last year in howling gales and sleet at the top of the last climb ~ far from pleasant!

A few years ago AlsoRan's missus got sunstroke just spectating, so don't forget to pack your suncream!

I'm in it again this year ~ looking forward to the descents off West Kip and Carnethy ~ megga!
    See the light in the night