Thread: Kit requirements

Kit requirements

Please could someone confirm the kit requirements for the FRA junior champs races.
    Pendle was ace but is the following correct for the FRA Champs races?
    U8 - no kit requirement
    U10, U12 - bring waterproofs but wear at your discretion
    U14 and upwards - bring full waterproofs (top and bottoms) to be carried or worn.

If all races are as well organised as Pendle, bring on the season!!

There are no specific junior championship requirements.
    The following is taken from this document.

2. JUNIOR EVENTS
    2.1 Race Organiser:
    In addition to the requirements set out at paragraph 1.2 above:
    • must take primary responsibility for runner safety because of the youth, inexperience and
    greater vulnerability of competitors that would normally be accepted by senior runners for
    themselves.

In other words at the discretion of the RO, and parental common sense on the day.
    As regularly advised to senior runners, bring everything and you won't be caught out by local weather.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

I've just been trying to clarify kit requirements on another forum: there's an awful lot of confusion over what is and isn't required out there and the FRA documentation doesn't help!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

I don't think it's confusing (what WP springs to defence of FRA shock )

The mandatory requirements apply to AM, AL, BL at which juniors cannot compete.

So it is at the discretion of the RO.

I think it's safe to assume there is a chance the RO may ask for full body cover and may ask for waterproof so it is best to have it.
    I think they may also ask for a whistle.

I doubt they will ask for map and compass as Junior FRA races should be obvious and not require navigation skills.

So turn up with full waterproof body cover and whistle and I think you'll be OK.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I'm not courting controversy here, but whatever the "rules", the application of them was not clear on Sunday.

There were signs up at registration which stated that all U16s and U18s had to carry full body cover. Perhaps different instructions were given at the briefing just before the start, but there is an issue in that while many runners were carrying bumbags, some had only a cagoule tied around their waist and some had no body cover with them.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    I'm not courting controversy here, but whatever the "rules", the application of them was not clear on Sunday.

There were signs up at registration which stated that all U16s and U18s had to carry full body cover. Perhaps different instructions were given at the briefing just before the start, but there is an issue in that while many runners were carrying bumbags, some had only a cagoule tied around their waist and some had no body cover with them.
    Did you raise the matter on the day with any of the organising team?

I had some matters that I was unsure about, asked, and got satisfactory answers.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Did you raise the matter on the day with any of the organising team?

I had some matters that I was unsure about, asked, and got satisfactory answers.
    Nice to meet you on Sunday. The full body kit requirements were posted up in the hall and were for U14, U16 and U18. I did notice though that some competitors did not carry bum bags nor were they wearing FBC at the start of the race. As it was the weather turned foul during the U14 race and although most didnt stop to put on their cags its a real warning as to how the kids can suffer and I was speaking to some after the race including one of your top U14 girls and one of my Notts AC daughter and they really suffered from the cold and driving rain and said it had an impact upon their run. I know one of my girls nearly pulled up and I am sure she would have put her FBC on at that point making her way back down the hillside. And I think that what some of the competitors who carried no kit are not fully aware of is if you do have to stop and make your way back, that is often the point where exposure begins to bite and safety most compremised.
    Interestingly it was those same two girls who stormed the English schools a couple of years ago wearing makeshift black plastic sacks!