Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Junior Rivington Pike

Junior Rivington Pike

Thanks to Horwich for putting the races on today. Have to say though the U8 and U10 races would be much better if they started higher up the tarmac road, at the bottom of the first field? For me, both events are not 'Fell Races' in as much as theres no off-road element.
    Simply running up and down a tarmac road isn't a test of fell race ability. Sorry.

We could only get 7 Eden Runners to travel down to today's races, but all 7 enjoyed themselves enormously. Many thanks to the organising team.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Completely agree. All the races could easily start at a point up the hill from where all runners achieve the satisfaction of rounding the pike

Quote Originally Posted by Vynikob View Post
    Completely agree. All the races could easily start at a point up the hill from where all runners achieve the satisfaction of rounding the pike
    I'll pass on the suggestion to the organiser. One thing to think about though is the logistics of having different start points. Maybe could get away with two start points : one near the farm for the U8/U10/U12 with the U12 turning round at the Pike, U10 at Georges Lane, subject to not exceeding distance and the U8 at somewhere suitable on the route - but it is adding further complications and I am sure you must realise the popularity of the event already increases the number of issues to deal with.
    I think trying to achieve a solution where all runners achieve the satisfaction of rounding the pike is not easily achieved. Are there any other junior races which have five different start points and run smoothly, especially with the numbers involved? If yes, I'm sure we'd be interested in them sharing best practice recommendations.
    Last edited by GordonS; 20-04-2014 at 11:12 PM.

A few photos whilst marshalling (not all taken by me as passed camera to a clubmate so I could concentrate on marshalling). Sorry none of U14/U16 as battery had depleted before they arrived - I had wanted to run it down to charge up for holiday. Photos here and loads more (professionally done) on Steve Bateson's site

The only minor "grumble" I have is that Graham Fecitt is there for the Senior race and the results are up online when I get home. So why not use him for the junior results?

I've been going to the junior races at Rivington for about 10 years and it's only when the FRA Juniors comes to town that anyone complains. When I first started going, Blu Haywood and her family were regular visitors, all the way up from Lincoln.
    There's no need to change anything.
    It's a hill race.
    The terrain that these juniors will encounter as the get older will vary extensively, so they should get used to it.
    Some get hung up about this - perhaps due to the use of the word fell in FRA. But It's a classic race, very popular, well organised and it's proven to work over the years.
    If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The only minor "grumble" I have is that Graham Fecitt is there for the Senior race and the results are up online when I get home. So why not use him for the junior results?

I've been going to the junior races at Rivington for about 10 years and it's only when the FRA Juniors comes to town that anyone complains. When I first started going, Blu Haywood and her family were regular visitors, all the way up from Lincoln.
    There's no need to change anything.
    It's a hill race.
    The terrain that these juniors will encounter as the get older will vary extensively, so they should get used to it.
    Some get hung up about this - perhaps due to the use of the word fell in FRA. But It's a classic race, very popular, well organised and it's proven to work over the years.
    If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
    But it's a " Fell race " Richard and there's no fell !

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    But it's a " Fell race " Richard and there's no fell !
    Stacksteads
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

I've been going to the junior races at Rivington for about 10 years and it's only when the FRA Juniors comes to town that anyone complains.
    I think when the FRA juniors 'comes to town',yes they expect a fell race. move start/finish up the lane. Simples.