Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First tick of the season

As for stopping ticks, Hanneke is spot on - you need a barrier. It doesn't seem to matter that much what it is, although I'm sure the right smells will distract them. But I have found that on days I'm completely plastered in sun cream, they tend not to latch on.

MickTor - a bite like that could be a cleg? I've had a few bites turn nasty (although nowhere near as bad as yours) over the last couple of years, and I'm sure that's what's bitten me.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Master
    Long socks overlapped with running tights. Some running tights retain very little heat, if any - their main purpose seems to be modesty, mild compression, and - of course - fashion - but they do act as a good barrier to ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Long socks overlapped with running tights. Some running tights retain very little heat, if any - their main purpose seems to be modesty, mild compression, and - of course - fashion - but they do act as a good barrier to ticks.
    The last thing really thin tights achieve is modesty. More 'showy' than anything.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Thanks for the tips Hanneke good luck with the recovery.
    Anybody know if the use of permethrin on your clothing/kit helps to deter the blighters, I am spending two weeks backpacking an wild camping in Scotland in may and would like to take some measures (other than keeping arms and legs covered) to minimize the number of ticks I have to remove each day
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    DEET is what you want apparently... But as that rots my MTB kit and shoes away, I am experimenting with oiling exposed bodyparts if too warm to keep covered... It resulted in two crawlers, stuck in the oil... It is a carrier oil to which I have added a mixture of lavender, peppermint and camphor essential oil. It is a natural way of stopping them from latching on...
    permethrin should work as its an insecticide. they may land on you or your clothes but it should kill them. Deet on skin would repell them but....Do not put deet on any synthetic material as it will desolve any polymer. you can put it on Cotton but it will remove any dye.

I've only ever found one small tick on me after years of running in Scotland and the peak in shorts. must be by Yorkshire blood

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    permethrin should work as its an insecticide. they may land on you or your clothes but it should kill them. Deet on skin would repell them but....Do not put deet on any synthetic material as it will desolve any polymer. you can put it on Cotton but it will remove any dye.

I've only ever found one small tick on me after years of running in Scotland and the peak in shorts. must be by Yorkshire blood

Thanks Ian I am not blessed with Yorkshire blood, and not keen on Deet so it looks like I will be sourcing some permethrin, with the intention of soaking my intended kit in it an allowing it to dry, hopefully the clothing will act as a first line of defence (Not keen on using chemicals straight on the skin and into my pores) .
    Would agricultural suppliers be a source of Permethrin ?

TBH I have only ever had 3 ticks over a lifetime of running / walking in shorts and vests in fact I have trodden on more weever fish whilst swimming in the sea (solved by not swimming barefooted now, jelly fish are another matter).
    Last edited by JohnK; 22-04-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Thanks Ian I am not blessed with Yorkshire blood, and not keen on Deet so it looks like I will be sourcing some permethrin, with the intention of soaking my intended kit in it an allowing it to dry, hopefully the clothing will act as a first line of defense (Not keen on using chemicals straight on the skin and into my pores) .
    Would agricultural suppliers be a source of Permethrin ?
    Permethrin shouldn't be hard to find; it's what mosquito nets are often treated with. Saw this on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelproof-.../dp/B003JMTUEI but there are probably other places that sell it too.

Super Moderator
    Permethrin is nasty stuff I'm surprised its as readily available as it apparently is
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Permethrin is nasty stuff I'm surprised its as readily available as it apparently is
    Eh? The article you provide a link to says (among a lot of other things) "According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, permethrin "has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon."
    I'm to chemist, I'm just confused by your comment and the article you cite.

Over a week ago at Hutton Roof Crags two ticks leapt (yes they do leap!) onto my hand whilst I was photographing wildflowers low to the ground.

Four days later I found a tick well and truly lodged on the inside of my thigh, only partly inflated with blood so can't have been on me for more than a day..? I suspect I picked that one up walking around the woodlands at Silverdale; many deer in that area.

I agree that midges will be more prevalent this summer, after such a mild, damp winter it's inevitable that insects in general will be out in force.

Nowt worse than parasites

Yeah, lots of midges around already too in South Wales... I don't like being bitten

I developed an abscess too last year, had to be surgically drained under GA and packed with the seaweed stuff. It never fully healed and allthough we dont know what caused it, it is now thought to be linked to Lyme...