Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First tick of the season

Harry my trusty border collie picked up his first tick of the year over a month ago. Fortunately I don't think ticks actually go for me - I put it down to all my copious amounts of body hair . Thank god I'm fair haired (well blonde actually ) as, were I dark haired, I'd probably be mistaken for a werewolf.

As for midges, there were a fair few about along the Ribble in Horton last night

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Thanks Ian I am not blessed with Yorkshire blood, and not keen on Deet so it looks like I will be sourcing some permethrin, with the intention of soaking my intended kit in it an allowing it to dry, hopefully the clothing will act as a first line of defence (Not keen on using chemicals straight on the skin and into my pores) .
    Would agricultural suppliers be a source of Permethrin ?

TBH I have only ever had 3 ticks over a lifetime of running / walking in shorts and vests in fact I have trodden on more weever fish whilst swimming in the sea (solved by not swimming barefooted now, jelly fish are another matter).
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Permethrin is nasty stuff I'm surprised its as readily available as it apparently is
    Permethrin is available from most decent out door shops for retreating Mossy nets.

Deet is the bad stuff, banned in many European countries...

25 years ago the tropical medicines boffins did a test on various repellents to see what was best mossy repellent
    100% Deet came out top of the bought products. less than 30% Deet was found to be useless.

They did test mosquito milk, (yes I know it's hard to milk a mossy!!!) citronella type products, plus a multitude of other.

all had varying levels of success but the top performer over all was neat detol and neat bleach which were some of the control liquids.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Permethrin is available from most decent out door shops for retreating Mossy nets.

Deet is the bad stuff, banned in many European countries...

25 years ago the tropical medicines boffins did a test on various repellents to see what was best mossy repellent
    100% Deet came out top of the bought products. less than 30% Deet was found to be useless.

They did test mosquito milk, (yes I know it's hard to milk a mossy!!!) citronella type products, plus a multitude of other.

all had varying levels of success but the top performer over all was neat detol and neat bleach which were some of the control liquids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Permethrin is nasty stuff I'm surprised its as readily available as it apparently is

Thanks Ian based on your comments and the positive info on DT`s link it`s the nasty stuff for me

My wife picked up a tick while out today just another low level Jaunt Kendal - Scout Scar - Levens village - Levens park (plenty of deer) Sizergh back to Kendal along the canal.

So yep the blighters are busy
    Last edited by JohnK; 23-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Change of plan just noticed permetrhin is a possible carcinogen so back to the drawing board

well not quite first tick of the season but certainly my first tick in the peak that I know about. hopefully I picked it up today but possible yesterday.
    either way it's now been removed

Headed up Stob CaC off-path yesterday afternoon, through the rapidly growing heather and deer grass.....and had several of the blighters crawling on me by the top. Think I brushed them all off!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post
    Curiously doesn't answer the question in its own headline.
    pies

Master
    Another couple of the blighters this week on part of Pennine way removed early so no worries I hope

We got quite a few after a week's wild camping on Arran, but then I suppose that's to be expecting sitting outside in long grass every evening!