Then, heigh-ho, the holly!
    This life is most jolly.

Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky,
    That dost not bite so nigh
    As benefits forgot:
    Though thou the waters warp,
    Thy sting is not so sharp
    As friend remembered not.
    Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! unto the green holly...

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

Running into the wind is GREEEEAT due to the extra 'free' training effect it bestows and of course by adding that extra dimension of raw natural challenge it also sorts the 'sturdy wheat from the whimpy chaff' - huh!
    The Earl of Oxford's ye olde ramblings are all hot air to me.

I don't mind running in the wind, it's just cycling in it that winds me up.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Wind didn't seem to bother me so much today. Perhaps it was the ding-dong with a family of ramblers that put me in a bad mood last week.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    Wind today and not a sprout in sight yet

Worst wind I can remember was on the top of Coniston Old Man. Coming up the face of the mountain it was still and warm, but getting onto the top I had to crawl, and then e cling onto the cairn, waiting for a timely moment to escape back down. Needless to say, my plan to follow the ridge to Brim Fell was postponed.

Also had a similar experience on Moel Siabod on a horrific day, and a gust on Gray Crag (near Thornthwaite Beacon/High Street) took me off my feet and deposited me a couple of metres further along the ridge.

These were all in my walking days, so thankfully was weighed down with a heavy bag, boots, and a bit more of a gut!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I get really annoyed with the wind and fixate on how much i loathe it. I just can't do with the way it has you changing gear all the time and blows crap into your eyes, the wind has recently ruined two otherwise nice bike rides for me. I don't like the way it inflates clothing you've left unzipped for cooling and slows you to a flipping crawl. I get pissed off with the way it howls on your lugholes and leaves you deaf to your own thoughts, it's like being yelled at for an hour or two. I've been known to tell the wind to eff off at the top of my voice. What do we reckon???
    I too have been known on many occasion to tell the wind to "eff off". My hubby tells me to stop fixating on it as I've already been beaten if I'm peed off before I even get out the door ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Worst wind I can remember was on the top of Coniston Old Man. Coming up the face of the mountain it was still and warm, but getting onto the top I had to crawl, and then e cling onto the cairn, waiting for a timely moment to escape back down. Needless to say, my plan to follow the ridge to Brim Fell was postponed.

Also had a similar experience on Moel Siabod on a horrific day, and a gust on Gray Crag (near Thornthwaite Beacon/High Street) took me off my feet and deposited me a couple of metres further along the ridge.

These were all in my walking days, so thankfully was weighed down with a heavy bag, boots, and a bit more of a gut!
    Several years back, running the annual club handicap race, the wind that blew us up The Struggle in Ambleside was so strong that many got PBs; running back down I was at times blown to a complete standstill.

Then there was the Y3Ps when I was blown up Whernside - it wasn't at all cold but I left my windproof on and spread my arms and it was like having a sail.

Top of Wansfell once - the wind was so strong I could not get from the rocky top to the gate - I had to make several attempts - a walker with me was on his hands and knees.

On a recce near Haystacks the wind blowing me uphill was so strong I had to actively brake against it.

I have heard one report of wind so strong that "even lying down did not guarantee stability".

worst I've encountered was in August prior to the Ennerdale Fell Relays (I think 2009). We were on a club recce weekend. I'd travelled up with my wife and daughter planning to run up Swirl How from the Three Shires on the Friday afternoon, but we couldn't see a dicky bird going over Wrynose as it was tipping it down, so carried on to camp at Lamplugh.
    We were fortunate to have the only fine period for around 20 minutes in around 24 hours while we pitched our tent, and even luckier to find perhaps the only dry patch of ground under a huge conifer.
    The following morning around 10 of us were huddled in the main tent, breakfasting and having brews and eventually gave up and set off around lunchtime on our recce.
    We jogged down the road to the relays start venue, then headed around Gavel Fell and across to Blake Fell.
    It was lashing it down and driving wind.
    But it was on the top of Blake Fell that it was just unbelievable. It's west facing and the wind was just rushing up the face of the fell with an additional funnel effect from the clough below. You could stand on the top, lean forward and feel like you were free-falling.
    I recall Tom Cornthwaite was the boldest - my daughter was worried for him and got a bit upset

It was one of the crappiest days I've ever had on the fells, but strangely one of the best and most memorable.
    The reward was the weather improved as we skirted round the north flanks of Burnbank Fell and Owsen Fell back to camp and then had a great few hours in the Lamplugh Tip that evening.

We all dried out and then went to watch the Mountain Running Trial the day after on Latrigg.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

A lass at work was telling me that people are less wary of storms when they have female names. She thought that was society being anti-women, but I pointed you could view it the other way - that society viewed males as more malevolent.

Interesting tho'.

I agree with that Noel. Looking through previous storm names, Abigail, Gertrude and Katie, all sound quite agreeable. Perhaps a Dinsdale, Reggie or Tyson might make you want to board up the house and leave the area rapidly.

The worst part of Windy weather for me is trying to breathe, even when you cup your hands around your mouth and try not to panic,it can be very stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    I agree with that Noel. Looking through previous storm names, Abigail, Gertrude and Katie, all sound quite agreeable. Perhaps a Dinsdale, Reggie or Tyson might make you want to board up the house and leave the area rapidly.

The worst part of Windy weather for me is trying to breathe, even when you cup your hands around your mouth and try not to panic,it can be very stressful.
    Piers would probably get most of us heading for the bunkers
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell