Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 runs a week

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3 runs a week

If you was going to do just three runs a week. What would you do with those runs to maximize the benefits?
    pies

What kind of benefits are you looking for? If its the benefit of having a fantastic time running in the hills, make them long 'uns

I am just getting back from injury meaning I have lost all the speed I had never mind the fact that I never had much in the first place. One of my runs each week is a flat out 3 miler on the road. The others would be longer slower off road runs.

No specific targets, just a general running fitness. Its tied in with biking 3 days a week, and swimming 3 times a week. But I'd prefer to keep the quality work with running.

Shaunaneto

Stop worrying.

I'm no physio and the last person dish out training advise. But when an athlete bikes 3 days a week, swims 3 times and gets out on the hills 3 times [is this right?] - all without injury, I do feel the need to say something.

Eddie
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie D View Post
    Shaunaneto

Stop worrying.

I'm no physio and the last person dish out training advise. But when an athlete bikes 3 days a week, swims 3 times and gets out on the hills 3 times [is this right?] - all without injury, I do feel the need to say something.

Eddie
    I'm not worrying, my training is largely aimless but a joy regardless. But I do enjoy moving quickly through rough ground, and I'd like keep doing it despite a shift away from running. But there's no drive to seek perfection, just so long as I keep on top of my biscuits in / energy out ratio I'm fine.

No kids helps.
    pies

I'm a 3 runs a week chap, usually aim for something along the lines of:
    1) 'Fast' run, perhaps 10k, maybe a flatter route. Possibly include some sections at quicker pace, with jog recovery.
    2) Hilly run, maybe 5-10k, focussing effort on the climbs, again with gentler jog recovery after each.
    3) Longer run at weekend to maintain endurance, perhaps 10-15 miles at a steady pace.
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

That sounds very sensible. I'd do that too.

My perfect 'training' programme that I aim for but am currently falling slightly short of is one hilly bike ride per week (not doing that at the mo), a couple sessions of yoga (am only managing one), one speed session (being in a club has really helped with that) or a race, a long run (preferably with hills), a shorter hilly run and anything else I can fit in depending on my work schedule. I don't take any of it too seriously but, ultimately, I want to improve my running and be able to go longer, faster. My knees are really suffering at the moment so I need to do some strength training and core work too.

Quote Originally Posted by richsund View Post
    I'm a 3 runs a week chap, usually aim for something along the lines of:
    1) 'Fast' run, perhaps 10k, maybe a flatter route. Possibly include some sections at quicker pace, with jog recovery.
    2) Hilly run, maybe 5-10k, focussing effort on the climbs, again with gentler jog recovery after each.
    3) Longer run at weekend to maintain endurance, perhaps 10-15 miles at a steady pace.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I average 3 runs a week, sometimes 2. A long hilly one, a short/medium hilly one and if I'm honest a short roady run. These are all at a steady pace.
    I haven't worked on speed or sprints for a while, but I would like to add more in.

I would think a sprint session in the 3 would benefit greatly.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Right.

1 long run.

1 fast, either near race pace or fartlek(if it's a club run).

1 easy or steady.

I'll try this and see how I get on. There'll be something similar with the bike, 1 long, 1 tempo, 1 easy/steady. 2 of those will be work commutes.
    pies