Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking foreign lingo

Speaking foreign lingo

Aside from what pops up on the first page of a Google search.

Anyone have any recommendations for general sources of information and resources for language learning.

Sadly the days of quitting my job and sodding off somewhere for 6 months* of immersion learning are far behind me. And I'm pretty sure the current trend of mental decay (which I largely blame on The FRA forum) will leave me at the IQ of a Turnip** within the next 3 years. So a bit if brain exercise will do me some good, and I always enjoyed a bit of Johnny Foreigner lingo.

Nordic Languages, starting with Norwegian for a basic founding. Then repeating with Swedish and Danish. Currently just playing around with Babbel.

*probably
    **currently at well kept allotment IQ
    Last edited by shaunaneto; 08-05-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    pies

Master
    Duolingo is free and worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post

Anyone have any recommendations for general sources of information and resources for language learning.

Sadly the days of quitting my job and sodding off somewhere for 6 months* of immersion learning are far behind me. And I'm pretty sure the current trend of mental decay (which I largely blame on STW) will leave me at the IQ of a Turnip** within the next 3 years. So a bit if brain exercise will do me some good, and I always enjoyed a bit of Johnny Foreigner lingo.

Nordic Languages, starting with Norwegian for a basic founding. Then repeating with Swedish and Danish. Currently just playing around with Babbel.
    Like! I am sure you meant to start with Old Icelandic though?

Busuu doesn't seem to have Norwegian; For books I have found the "in 3 months" ones tended to make the most sense but obviously this will differ for each language & book author. Recent language course books generally have less grammatical info than older ones.

If you insist on learning Norwegian you will land immediately in a minefield: there are two written forms, Bokmål and Nynorsk. Although the latter means "New Norwegian" it refers to the written form of traditional spoken Norwegian, with Bokmål being a legacy of Danish rule. If you go to Norway you will find that most people speak a variety of Nynorsk, which sounds a lot like Swedish (hence they spend a lot of time making fun of each others accents in film & TV shows). On the other hand if you learn Bokmål, it will have more in common with Danish. Honestly it'd be a lot easier to learn Swedish first!

There's a series called Teach Yourself, which does Norwegian. I found them to be great when I was trying to learn it. Book with CD. Well worth a look.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Sadly the days of quitting my job and sodding off somewhere for 6 months* of immersion learning are far behind me. And I'm pretty sure the current trend of mental decay (which I largely blame on The FRA forum) will leave me at the IQ of a Turnip** within the next 3 years. So a bit if brain exercise will do me some good, and I always enjoyed a bit of Johnny Foreigner lingo.

*probably
    **currently at well kept allotment IQ
    Have you tried your local college? I did a British Sign Language course at ours, the taster course was free then you had to pay for the next level but it cost me less than a pair of Mudclaws for a 10 week course.

Then when my stepdaughter started High School I did an adults maths course so I could help with her homework

Lisa, it's Bokmal I'm learning. But you maybe right about Swedish. It's pricey but Rosetta stone do Swedish.

Richard, nowt local. Nearest is 1 1/2 hours away.

A "sleeping dictionary" is the recommended and best way to learn another language, e.g. Philippine
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Lisa, it's Bokmal I'm learning.
    Unless you go to Oslo, don't expect to easily have a conversation with anyone! My aunt found this out the hard way. Most learning resources push the Bokmål.

Is what wiki tells me.

That said, we have Swedish friends. Maybe jumping ship is in order.

Hmmm
    pies

Ironically I am currently 2/3rds through a fantastic German book Töchter des Nordlichts (Daughters of the Northern Lights) that centres on the place, and earlier suppression, of Sami language, people and culture in Norway ~ but being written (originally not translated) in German completely bypasses the Bokmal/Nynorsk issue other than an occasional allusion to different dialects!

Speaking of which, all this reading about reindeer is making me hungry...