Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Short(er) Race?

Fellhound

Re: Borrowdale Short(er) Race?

It was only a "what if" idea, so there was no need for YTs attitude problem (but then there never is is there?). Others have eloquently replied as I would have so thanks for that guys.

I can see why it might not work at Borrowdale as it does at Duddon as it's a much "bigger" event.

As far as elitism goes, I've done the full Borrowdale a number of times in the past and will no doubt do it again (I'm only 47 y'know). I just don't really feel up to it this year and I thought there must be others who want to experience the weekend but don't feel 'Borrowdale fit'. A shorter race would be more satisfying than just a training run/watching.

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    elitism
    Once again I am accused of elitism!

Well, if you look at last year’s results you will see that loads of people (including several committee “worthies”) finished in four and a half hours or more.

I rest my case! Borrowdale already caters more than adequately for joggers and no-hopers.

Good grief, if you want something even easier than this, perhaps what you really want is a different sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Borrowdale already caters more than adequately for joggers and no-hopers.
    Who or what is a no-hoper?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

alwaysinjured

Once again I am accused of elitism!

Well, if you look at last year’s results you will see that loads of people (including several committee “worthies”) finished in four and a half hours or more.

I rest my case! Borrowdale already caters more than adequately for joggers and no-hopers.

Good grief, if you want something even easier than this, perhaps what you really want is a different sport?
    So lets get this straight YT

You are saying that the committee worthies and ( and anyone over 4.5 hours) are no hopers?

They must love you YT!

Lets get all this into context. The reason someone runs 3 hours at borrowdale is not knowledge, experience, navigation or training. It certainly does not make them better people, as witness YTs disgraceful attitude to fellow runners and the rest of the sport.

It is genetics. 3 hour borrowdale runners are as not AS lucky as lottery winners. They are luckier. At least a lottery winner has to go out and buy a lottery ticket, so has some part in making their own luck. Most of your VO2 max, and other factors, such as your natural muscular build, bone size and lean body mass index that make you a good fell runner you were born with, No skill involved, just luck: - it is only the last say 20% that is put there by training.

So just thank your lucky stars YT, and start to accept the fact that the only reason you are ever in front of anyone at all, is others choose to be there behind you. Being fast does not make you a better person, clearly not by your behaviour, it just makes you lucky.

I will tell you.

Theres a girl going round this time, who has sweat tears of blood trying to get fit enough to meet the cutoffs, going round the course in all weather.

She will never win anything in YTs terms. She is by YT definition a complete no hoper. But I will tell you that her victory of meeting the cutoffs in my eyes, and those of other right thinking people is worth ten first place trophies, and all that useless silver that may or may not be cluttering YTs mantelpiece.

This will be a triumph of determination and will power - and that is more important than the time on the clock when she finishes.

You too, YT are a complete no hoper when viewed next to Billy Blands record.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 31-07-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Theres a girl going round this time, who has sweat tears of blood trying to get fit enough to meet the cutoffs, going round the course in all weather. And in reality, that is the highest she can ever aspire to.
    Well, wind him up ... and just watch him go!!

At least the girl you’re talking about is DOING it – and not whining about it being too long and “please, please let me do a shorter one caue I can’t be arsed putting in the effort”.

alwaysinjured

Well, wind him up ... and just watch him go!!

and not whining about it being too long and “please, please let me do a shorter one caue I can’t be arsed putting in the effort”.
    Can YT read?

Nobody ever said that, and that is not the reason for a shorter route.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    They normally do for the Peris but I turned up last year to find Blakey had cancelled the short one cos the long was a British Champs (too much organisation etc) So I had no option - it was a very hot cloudless day and I got as far as the top of Snowdon before retiring - the only race I've ever packed up in!

I did the Peris last year, recconed I'd be sub 4 and finished in nearer 4:20. Died a death on Snowdon. Dehydrated, muscle cramps, shear agony.

One of the hardest races I've ever done, the quarries were like an oven with all the heat radiating back off it.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Can YT read?

Nobody ever said that, and that is not the reason for a shorter route.
    Oh yeah????

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler
    I just don't really feel up to it this year and I thought there must be others who want to experience the weekend but don't feel 'Borrowdale fit'.

Fellhound

I'm not even going to validate this with a reply. Don't rise to it guys....

(No, this is not a reply )

Well I’m going up to Rosthwaite this weekend with the intention of doing this race. If I can’t do it (because I’m in some way not Borrowdale fit!!), I’ll offer Scoffer some help. If he doesn’t need help, I’ll take a walk, jog or slow run up to Sty Head and carry a few drinks and eats for folks.

All of this I have done in the past.

It’s a great weekend, and, despite what might be said elsewhere on this thread, you don’t have to do the race to enjoy the atmosphere. And, if you do the race, unless you’re slower than Scoffer’s chop times, it’s a great one to finish – whatever time you do it in.

And if you don’t believe me - ask Graham Breeze.

See you all on Saturday!