Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: climbing+kayak training

climbing+kayak training

As the great Shaunaneto 2014 sporting diversification continues I'm after some more advice.

Climbing and kayaking are both on for 2014, with climbing rope work skills pre-existing albeit rusty. And kayak skills non-existent, but with the routes to dealing with both known and understood I'm eager to build up some actual fitness to crack on.

But the training for them needs to happen in either the gym or the pool. Basically because it's so fricking cheap. I've got an excellent 50m pool and a well equipped gym which I can use as much as I want for £18 a month and I can step out the front door and be in the pool within 10 minutes. There is a climbing wall nearby, but the opening hours don't really work for me and it's expensive.

Anyone got any useful pointers as to how to get effective use out of the facilities available to me. To be honest, I'm more than happy buying a book if you've got some recommendations? Or links to suitable websites will do too.
    pies

Master
    Have you tried running 3 times a week? Maybe biking and swimming too, a similar amount. Just a thought.

That's an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that.
    pies

High rep, medium weight upper body circuits in the gym. Same with legs to a degree, though running and cycling might cover that. Plenty of lengths in pool will add fitness and strengthen upper too. Plyometrics for upper body climbing (I think), and body weight stuff...pull-ups, push-ups, dips. Not an expert though....sounds like you'll be having fun though Shaunaneto
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

sounds like you'll be having fun though Shaunaneto
    I have only one ambition, and this is it.

Thanks for the advice.
    pies

As it goes, this has cured my bad back.

Bonus.

Shame I've not had time to go kayaking. Yet.
    pies

As an aside, I find the gym sessions have no impact on any post work training runs.

Unless I do leg extensions and curls. In which case it's like running through sand.
    pies

How's all this been going shaunaneto? Any kayaking yet? We are having great dificulty fitting the canoe into our time schedule! As an aside..I'm just starting back on the leg strengthening gym work, and I find it really affects my legs for running. I do a bit of leg specific weights, cross-trainer and just started hill reps on treadmill. Even the session I occasionally do on the fixie really tires my legs in a way running does'nt.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I do a bit of climbing and find fingerboards are great training and fun. Treat yourself to one for Christmas. Also Google neil gresham articles. He's the climber magazine training guru.

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    I do a bit of climbing and find fingerboards are great training and fun. Treat yourself to one for Christmas. Also Google neil gresham articles. He's the climber magazine training guru.
    Pffft, what does Gresham know about climbing....
    pies