Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living near Hull

Living near Hull

Does anyone know about living near Hull - never been there but a potential job opportunity

Are there nice places to live near the coast with good schooling
    What is the running like?
    What is the coastline like?

Cheers

Got friends who live in Hessle and Collingham, both just outside Hull and seem like nice places. Not sure on the school situation, but would guess decent given the general nature of the areas. There are lots of nice villages in the Wolds too, definitely commutable to/from Hull.

Running is generally flat (no surprises!), but the Wolds are hillier and with good running. There's a Wolds Way ultra which looks like an interesting route.

The coastline to the north is eroding quickly, so don't be tempted by that bargain cliff edge property! Don't know it to the south.

Hull gets a bad rep, but I think it's a great place.
    Geoff Clarke

And they have funny accents: A canna cerk.

I'm glad I could add to this thread. Good luck with the job - I'm sure it's lovely despite the funny accents.

It's never dull in Hull
    pies

The mud in the area is very heavy, it sticks to your feet in a way the Pennine squelchy stuff doesn't!

As mentioned above the accent is unique, you'll find this helpful:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/humber/content/...glossary.shtml

I'm confused? Are you all talking about 'ull?

I live in Hull, its not bad,but as Hank says it often gets bad press. Surrounding Hull are lots of smaller villages, which seem to be getting more popular as times goes by. The running scene in and around Hull is pretty good. The 2 main running clubs are City of Hull AC(West Hull) and East Hull Harriers & AC(I'm a member of the latter)EHH must be one of the oldest clubs in existence, been going over 100yrs. Both clubs regularly organises races throughout the year. Hull is predominantly flat, but the Yorkshire Wolds are only 20 minutes away and its great running area, places like Brantingham and South Cave are beautiful. We do most of our training around these areas for any fell races we have a go at. At EHH we have over 200 members on the books, mainly road runners but their is a small group of half a dozen of us who regularly take part in Fell Races, this year so far we've done Mickledon Straddle, Edale Skyline, Heptonstall and 3 Peaks, and Swaledale Marathon and Keswick trail marathon are pencilled in.
    The coastline is pretty crap near to Hull, muddy banks of the River Humber but along the coast upto Bridlington, Flamborough and Bempton is great, with some lovely beaches.

Daughter may be going to Hull Uni. The inlaws live at Hornsea so I do a bit of running on the east coast...far too flat.

Hull ... hmmmm the home of that idiot and fat slob John Prescott.

Not a nice city or a good place for shopping. Places just ouside are nice as previously mentioned.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Hull ... hmmmm the home of that idiot and fat slob John Prescott.

Not a nice city or a good place for shopping. Places just ouside are nice as previously mentioned.
    they do have "The Deep" though