Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: stoney middleton

Re: Thu.jul 23. Stoney Middlet

Quote Originally Posted by Darth of The Dark Side View Post
    On a more serious note. The burgers in the pub are about a quarter of the size they used to be. I'm soon going to be under 13 stone at this rate!
    And..... I'm going to start training, get fit & even lose some blubber too..
    Might even catch you up again, once your back in my age group !?

(joking aside, very impressed with your turn of speed last night, particularly having given Shining Tor a really good bash the night before!!)

PS Are you in charge of BRH next week?
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Andy,

Thanks - I wanted to get back early before the burgers ran out. I placed my order as we ran through the Car Park! I still can't believe I got beaten by a 60 year old hippy - and he was rather amused when I told him so.

Yes - I'm in charge at Baslow Robin Hood, but I'm really worried about the lack of people who have volunteered to marshal. Even if 50 of the Dark Side want to race (like I do) that leaves 300+ members who will do **** all towards helping out. As I imagine is the case in most clubs, its always the same people that volunteer to help and when they have prior commitments very few step into their shoes - notably those who have most to say at AGMs!

One option I've considered is drinking a jar of coffee 30 mins before the off and then showing messers Bond & Taggart a clean pair of heels and set the pace / act as guide all the way round. I'll see you there hopefully.

Regards, Andrew
    Last edited by Darth of The Dark Side; 24-07-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Here's a few photos of the race - taken from the top of that last little climb - http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/GeoffB...toneyMiddleton#
    - a bit blurred, but the sun had almost gone down below the horizon.

Thanks for the pics Geoff!

Results are up...

http://stoneymiddletonparishcouncil....fell_race.html
    Last edited by Starsky; 26-07-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Re: stoney middleton

YouTube clip from last nights race!

Nice race yesterday, hard climb on tarmac, but really engaging from halfay to finish. Great atmosphere.

It was my second go at a fell race after sunday, my week in England is over: I'm glad I'll be back to my usual slog on ultras, but will definitely miss the rush...

Next year will try to sneak another week of fells and real ales!

Some photos of the race here. https://www.facebook.com/PeakDistrictFellRace
    Never under estimate the power of the darkside of the fells.

Whilst giving myself ample time for the journey over to the Peak District, it really paid dividends as I was able to have a browse at the Well Dressings in the village of Stoney Middleton. These really are works of art and every credit to the people that must spend countless hours in creating them.

Like most midweek races in the Peak District once again the turnout looks impressive. Not seen any results as yet but maybe 200 runners. Being so close to a city the size of Sheffield is obviously a major factor in generating these numbers.

When I race in these parts, more often than not I bump into the lovely Pat Goodall of Totley....Pat informs me that a fast start is required if i want to avoid getting caught up on the narrow path that leads us away from the playing fields heading towards the village. This turns out to be great advice as I can imagine this section being a real bottleneck.

On the start line and Pat's words are ringing in my ears, "fast start"...and blimey it certainly was. We all charged up the football field towards the goalposts and then just like the shower of shit that is England, we all hesitate in front of goal. Some go around the back, some across the front, I do my best Rooney/Sterling/Kane impersonations and stand there scratching my head looking gormless. Once the confusion is over, it's only seconds but seems ages, we head for the narrow path. Thankfully I arrived in good time and it wasn't too congested...but I'm to pay for this quick start later on.

To the amusement of the onlookers gathered outside The Moon pub we start the steep climb up the road heading out of the village. It's here that my earlier manic start catches up with me. I've paced this completely wrong, and the climb feels far harder than it should've. I'm losing places and start cursing myself for my bad tactics. Yes a quick start was needed, but I tried to maintain it longer than I was comfortable with and should've eased back once a good position was achieved...not try and keep with the leading pack.

After a few moments of self pity, I start to regain some composure and claw places back. Really can't wait to get off the Tarmac and it's such a relief when off road terrain is eventually reached. Now I'm starting to enjoy it and more places are taken.

Tracks and fields follow before we drop down into a small wooded valley. Up until this point the terrain for a fell race has been pretty gentle. This was all about to change....rocks, branches and churned up ground are encountered with the added obstacle of poor light caused by the trees. This is unquestionably my favourite part of the race.

Once out of the woods and after a short flat section we're faced with one last little climb. Our reward is another trip into some woods, albeit a fleeting visit before a return to the outwards path back to the playing fields and cross the football pitch to the finish. Whilst running across the football pitch do I get the urge to kiss the badge of my Chorley vest and jump about like a tool?.....no, I simply shake the hands of fellow runners.

Thanks to all concerned.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.