Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 in 2.5 race WLeeds 11/7

1 in 2.5 race WLeeds 11/7

Post Hill Challenge, Pudsey, 11 July 2014.

The urban fringes of our towns and cities are a regular training ground for many fell runners. The lack of ‘genuine fell terrain’ excludes many tough races from making the FRA calendar. A classic example is Pudsey Pacers ‘Post Hill Challenge’ on the outskirts of West Leeds. This year’s race will be on Friday the 11
    th of July at 7.30pm. The 2013 race attracted nearly 80 runners who were treated to not one but two ascents of the famous 1 in 2.5 Post Hill (is there a race with a steeper hill in the land?) Further details, video giving an insight into the terrain, and on-line entry (
    EOD is available also) can be found at: http://www.pudseypacers.com/events/post-hill-challenge.

I did it last year for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyable apart from that hill although I'm just thankful we didn't have to run down it.

Will be there again this year injuries permitting.

I've sledged down it.....!!!!

Tried to watch the video but it induced motion sickness. Never put me on a simulator.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    I did it last year for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyable apart from that hill although I'm just thankful we didn't have to run down it.

Will be there again this year injuries permitting.
    Martin

Adrian & Maria Leach did it last year

I've ridden MTB races there in the early 1990's (when I first got my Pace Research RC100

Granted, we didn't ride up the hill, but gained the same elevation along the other paths (& actually crossed the cobbles near the top!!)

Might have a look at attending it, & bringing back memories
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Martin

Adrian & Maria Leach did it last year

I've ridden MTB races there in the early 1990's (when I first got my Pace Research RC100

Granted, we didn't ride up the hill, but gained the same elevation along the other paths (& actually crossed the cobbles near the top!!)

Might have a look at attending it, & bringing back memories
    it's less than a mile from where I grew up and it's where I cut my teeth as a school cross country
    runner in the 80's. Mum still lives close by.

I' d love to be there, guiding sat-Wednesday so might just be able to get there this year

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    it's less than a mile from where I grew up and it's where I cut my teeth as a school cross country
    runner in the 80's. Mum still lives close by.

I' d love to be there, guiding sat-Wednesday so might just be able to get there this year
    You know you want to Ian!

Hopefully be 3rd year in a row for me. Bumped into Gary Bailey (Race organiser) last Wednesday on Chevin after training and he reminded me of the date, although he initially said 13th!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    good stuff Richard. I remember watching trials riding on Post hill, I think it was around that time that the hill itself stopped being raced on?? I have vague memories of a bad accident??

Probably so??

When we were racing there, I think one of the specific warnings on the entry-forms (& upon entry to the grounds) was
    "No attempting to ride down the Hill!!, or face disqualification from the series"

Obviously a few numpties did, & it happened; both the tumbles & the "Bye-bye"

This is from either 1990 (or possibly 1991)

1990s. Mountain Bike (YMBC) Post Hill. 1990.jpg