Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Fishwicking

Super Moderator
    Hobble / Skyline lighter, more runnable option but then Daz is getting older 😀

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Where does that rank compared to Wasdale on the Saturday followed by Holme Moss on the Sunday, which Daz did a few years ago.
    When the Duddon Fell Race was started, it was part of a two-day event: 18-mile fell race on the Saturday, 15-mile orienteering event on the Sunday. There was only one year that I did both, but many people regularly did both.

Also in that part of the world, Muncaster used to be the day after Ennerdale (at least in some years), and many people did both. Given that Muncaster had such a poor attendance this year, they could try again putting it on the Sunday following a nearby Saturday race, to make it worthwhile for people to travel to West Cumbria for a weekend from far away. If they want it in Spring, maybe the day after Black Combe or Eskdale Elevation?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Whats your total to date Darren please?

Super Moderator
    Total number of Slayer t-shirts?

I've had a couple of attempts at Fishwicking this year. Most examples have involved cross-country on the Saturday, followed by a Sunday fell race. This is at least as tough a double-fell weekend, as everyone who does XC will probably verify.

My one attempt at a Fell double went well... the traditional Weasdale Horseshoe/Sedbergh Hills double. A top ten finish at Weasdale, followed by a time I'd have been happy with at Sedbergh even if it wasn't the 2nd race of the weekend.

The first time I tried it, at the end of 2017, I was petrified of the stiff feeling in my legs, and I think it got into my head. But my few attempts this year have taught me not to be scared of it.

Got a couple of tough weekends coming up.... an XC/Trigger double, followed closely by an XC/Long Mynd Valleys double.

Banned
    A bit light on Darrens adventures?
    Is everything ok and how is the every event in the calendar book coming on?

Daz did a PBR recently which probably explains the absence (unless he doubled up with the Ramsey the next day!)

I did two races in 17 hours this weekend.... Friday evening the Snowdon Twilight, followed by the Holyhead Mountain Saturday lunchtime... as always, hard work to fit two short sharp races (each taking an hour, give or take a few mins) so close together... the stifling heat probably added to the issues...

The main issue I had was having no appetite after the first race, feeling pretty rough after a hard race in such heat... was difficult to fuel myself for the second race... even after a visit to the chippy in Holyhead, and a massive supper, I’m ravenous today...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    My wife has (unintentionally) got herself into teams for two tennis matches on the same day, an over-60's match tomorrow morning and a match for her club's 6th team in the evening. I explained to her that in fell running parlance this is called "fishwicking".

For myself, the nearest I get to fishwicking these days is a 7-day gap between races. I've entered Black Rocks for tomorrow, after doing the Windmill race last Wednesday.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I have the unenviable possibility of potentially having to do 3 track races in 2.5hrs on sunday... steeplechase, 1500, 5000... due to a shortage of available clubmates.... hopefully it won't come to this but the outlook is not good!
    Last edited by Travs; 12-07-2022 at 12:11 PM.

A minor bit of Fishwicking for me this weekend. First occasion I have done three timed runs in a weekend. Skipton Parkrun on Saturday morning got me an S in the Parkrun A - Z. In the evening I did the 5k Donor run as part of the British Transplant Games - I'm a platelet donor. Huge event with loads of runners/joggers/walkers, many in fancydress. Then on Sunday morning I did the Rougemont Chase as part of the Weeton Show. Managed to still beat Antonio!