Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many gears

Generally speaking... 50-34 uses 110 BCD, 53-39 uses 130 BCD. Newer 11 speed 4 arm chainsets seem to be universal, taking either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I'll go get my micrometer and reply by PM.
    It will still be an imperial micro.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Thats some avatar you're rocking there Graham. Impressive barnet
    London Marathon 1986.

After I had changed into a suit and tie but before my fell Damascene enlightenment.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Beer is an alternative to gels. A jar of some dinky little craft brewery's finest amber/pale is some match for an SIS i can tell you. If it was good enough for the Navvies it's good enough for anyone.
    It was the doping method of choice in the Tour at one time. Hop off your bike into the local bar and stock up with a few bottles then on your way again
    No country for old men.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    It was the doping method of choice in the Tour at one time. Hop off your bike into the local bar and stock up with a few bottles then on your way again
    And now it steak, hop of your bike, run into a Spanish butcher, order a fillet or two and win a big bike race.

Smile

I don't think cassettes should have gone above 8spd. 9/10/11 is pointless because the graduations are too small and you don't know where you are unless you count along the sprockets and stop looking forwards...which is bad. For mtb the need to shift up is made more difficult with 9spd because you're going up 2 gears to get enough of a difference, as the terrain changes are more abrupt. 7spd gives a better single shift and less replicated gears. For road 8spd is ideal because gradient changes are coming with enough notice to get on the little ring, and the graduations on an 8spd cassette are ideal in a road environment.

9/10/11 spd seems like a gimmick developed because HG Narrow chains would allow the setup, and i can't practically identify a problem with 7.3mm 7/8spd chainsets.

Years ago, restricted gears in 3rd/J races 13-18 block wound in to the 15 sprocket, 8 gears, down tube shifters, 53/39, get over anything if you pedal 'ard enough

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Years ago, restricted gears in 3rd/J races 13-18 block wound in to the 15 sprocket, 8 gears, down tube shifters, 53/39, get over anything if you pedal 'ard enough
    Indeed, and I have pedalled over Alpe d'Huez, Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Lauteret,... (and without putting my feet down Mark G!) but more gears have meant higher cadences and higher speeds: and the difference between the amateur and the pro is speed.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

alwaysinjured
    I am caught in this dilemma right now.
    I have a 28/11 - 53/39 which is knee knackering on very steep hills - and knees are my problem. I can handle high cadence, but not high force - if I want to walk the following day!.

So I am caught between a compact, which loses it at the high end.
    Or a triple - the stagger solution - mainly because that is what I take on loan going to hilly countries and I seem to get on fine.

The bike is ultegra with BB30 FSA energy front.

To get a compact, BB30 (FSA energy) is sodding expensive ie 250 . So probably end up converting over to the shimano external bearing setup costing weight...to get a cheaper but quality compact. An ultegra compact is maybe 150 with all the bits includng BB30 conversion, but Bike geeks seem to think that is retrograde because the BB30 is inherently better. Or is it?

Alternative changing for a triple staying on BB30.
    They are giving this away...for 80
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/f...t/rp-prod90281

Problem is , and here is the hooker

The ultegra triple shifter even spending the extra 120 seems to be a pile of poo. Take a look at the dreadful reviews on this..
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s...r/rp-prod40595
    A problem they do not seem to be able to fix.

Any thoughts on the better choice from experienced bikers welcome.
    Like - what is a reliable triple shifter to work with ultegra front mech I have?
    So wondering what to do..

ps. Not a proper biker.
    Taken to it grudgingly because knees wont work.
    Can manage a 50 and a few thousand feet, but clearly not a GB league biker.
    Would not dream of trying the alpe.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 31-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

What's up with your knees AI?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

alwaysinjured
    What's up with your knees AI?
    No cartilage left, and onset of arthritis.

Been out of running on and off for most of the last ten years because of it.
    Managed to get up to 10 hours of BG last year, but fell apart again at Christmas.
    Still ...gave them a break for 3 months , and hobbled an hour last week, so maybe.