Page 63 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Dunnerdale today, 5m/1800'. Just had to start running and see how it panned out; i was slow on the first climb, lacking a bit in the middle section, feeling it a lot by the top of CP2. I'm not burning out really fast and i'm getting more 02 in, but it translated to a bit of a stinker, 4mins off my PB which is the sort of speeds i was running 10yrs ago.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Well, i woke up this morning feeling like i hadn't done a race yesterday. My knowledge of sports science is lacking a bit, but it seems like my legs are having it very easy due to my lungs not being able to supply the oxygen.

50m bike ride to the Craven Arms and back today, average speed was over 16 which was expected on fairly fresh legs, and time was well under 3h.

Carr Bridge Drive reps, 6x 0.25m/110' tonight. A bit of a rough session, not breathing freely at all.

Bramley Parkrun today, 20.37. Another windy day, went for a long one to bag 2nd, 300m slog running on fumes all the way.

8.3m/2620' AM Two Dales extra hilly route today. Ran the whole way up the packhorse track out of Starbotton up to Old Cote Moor which basically made my left knee hurt a bit, but i ran the lot so maybe my missing V02 max is coming back. I reckon Darren Fishwick had borrowed it judging by his Dunnerdale result. Got there too late, pissed the daylight up the wall by drinking brews all morning, so didn't warm up properly and got soreness issues.

Tinshill Lane rep, 1x 0.7m/240' (4.51)
    Carr Bridge Drive reps, 4x 0.25m/110' (1.56, 1.54, 2.05, 2.00)

Another uneven session, but i've set a new best time for Tinshill Lane. I won't be able to class myself as right again until i'm averaging <1.55 for CBD, at the moment it's 2.00. I've taken the plunge and ordered a new electronic backlit stopwatch, the mechanical Hanhart will stay at work for my flexibility sessions. Unfortunately i can't get a watch that stores rep times, they all only work on a lap basis.

I really don't like running in snow, and i wasn't expecting to have to do so either. Weather forecast said cold and cloudy, weather was 3h of heavy snowfall. I arrrived at Kettlewell ready for my hill session to prepare me for Cardington, only to turn around and drive straight back home in order make it out before the roads became totally snowbound. I compromised on a 9m speed endurance in the washburn valley which didn't go well due to traction being hard to find and snowflakes being painful to inhale into your lungs. My breathing was strained and shallow because i was trying not to inhale snow, which was coming down as heavily as i'd ever seen it. Beamsley Hill had not been gritted and was quickly compacted and turned into a nightmare as i ran my route. Afterwards i managed to listen to the same Keane album one and a half times between Swinsty and the roundabout near the Devonshire Hotel Brasserie, wagons were crawling in low range to avoid jack-knifing, it was awful. I'm a bit under prepared now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I really don't like running in snow, and i wasn't expecting to have to do so either. Weather forecast said cold and cloudy, weather was 3h of heavy snowfall. I arrrived at Kettlewell ready for my hill session to prepare me for Cardington, only to turn around and drive straight back home in order make it out before the roads became totally snowbound. I compromised on a 9m speed endurance in the washburn valley which didn't go well due to traction being hard to find and snowflakes being painful to inhale into your lungs. My breathing was strained and shallow because i was trying not to inhale snow, which was coming down as heavily as i'd ever seen it. Beamsley Hill had not been gritted and was quickly compacted and turned into a nightmare as i ran my route. Afterwards i managed to listen to the same Keane album one and a half times between Swinsty and the roundabout near the Devonshire Hotel Brasserie, wagons were crawling in low range to avoid jack-knifing, it was awful. I'm a bit under prepared now.
    Hope you are back home safe now Luke. Not the day to be driving around although it did come down pretty quick. I can see why you got caught out.

[QUOTE=mr brightside;676804]I really don't like running in snow,

I'm not keen on running in snow either but I love running on it.

Especially when it was like today when the surface just holds long enough to allow you to move to the next stride without breaking through it. Walking would have been harder work as the surface would have been broken.

Only 4 miles today over local fields but very enjoyable.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Oh yeah, and if anyone is planning a circuit of Thruscross, take a chainsaw and possibly a chipper if you have room in your pack.