Page 1 of 131 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

mr b's comeback

Yep, you guessed it, another training thread. It's been a while since the last but i'll take the baton and run with it.

The last time i was properly fit was the Kettlewell Relays 2011, decided to take 6mths out to get my right knee under control and ended up taking 2.5yrs!! Latest diagnosis is Patella Chondromalacia which is a breakdown of the shock absorbing structure of the Patella Cartilage and undetectable by MRI, you need to tape your kneecap so it contacts on a different part of the underside to get going again. Physio says he's seen this condition in more cyclists than runners which defines the limits of my training for me. This thread might last 2 weeks or 2 years it's out of my hands for the greater part, i can only do the best i can. Target is to run Dunnerdale and get a PB, which is going to be hard as i was in great shape last time i ran it (50.20).

My distance and tapering philosophy will be based on my tolerance to pints of ale. The most i can handle is about 8 pints and i'm chugging along nicely at around 4/5, so i'll apply the same system to single session miles. I'm not shy of 1/2 midweek but only if i'm feeling chipper.

Training starts tommorrow with perhaps a steady trot around the Strid Wood of Desolation or The Fairy Hills- i always name my routes.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 08-06-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

My distance and tapering philosophy will be based on my tolerance to pints of ale. The most i can handle is about 8 pints and i'm chugging along nicely at around 4/5, so i'll apply the same system to single session miles. I'm not shy of 1/2 midweek but only if i'm feeling chipper.
    Technical training!

Hope it goes well tomorrow for you well done getting back!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

First run, Strid Wood of Desolation 5.3m/1000', all runnable.

routemap.jpg

routeprofile.jpg

After 10wks of cycling i reckoned i'd have felt a bit better. Calves cramping up when i stopped and left ITB feeling tight. Got a bottleful of really nice brown peaty water from the beck in the Valley of Desolation, tasted like iced tea. Feeling very taxed aerobically which, again, is a shock after some of the bike rides i've been doing.

Right knee held up fine, but time and training will wear it down slowly if it's going to cause problems; there probably won't be any sudden and acute incidents. New taping configuration is a real work of art and difficult to reproduce accurately, it uses up at least half a metre of Luekotape so i'd better get stocked up. It doesn't control my medial maltracking so i'm expecting some real soreness in the lateral retinaculum. One run a week for now and i'm wearing shop bought patella tendon straps to work to stop my kneecap contacting on the affected area as much as possible. Work is a big problem and may be my undoing.

Banned
    Good to have you back.

One suggestion. (forget PB's for this year )

Have a year of solid injury free running before trying to push hard.

If i'm in good enough shape i might as well get what i can while i can, i'm too prone to problems to back off the game unnecessarily. Good advice though, Trev. I'd settle for doing all the KWL races, i've been trying for a mug for the last 4 years.

Not had DOMS like todays in a while i can tell you, calves feel awful, puts into sharp focus the muscles you don't use on the bike.

I'm beginning to see and feel the results of a year and a half of solid and committed rehab exercising. My right Glutes Medius aches more than my left due to the improved recruitment, and the arch of my right foot aches because the Podiatrist insisted i raise it during Glutes drills and press into the floor with my big toe. He reckons this will also stop me constantly turning my right ankle. My right ITB is feeling quite good because the dominance in the TFL has been removed by about 2yrs worth of stretching, and the Glutes Medius is doing more work. My left ITB kills all the way down because the left TFL is still pulling on it with less support from the Glutes Medius. In fact structures around my left knee feel so strained i might have to miss a week and do some ecentric loading in the gym instead.

Banned
    Slowly Slowly catch a monkey.

3 sets of 10 ecentric leg curls on each leg, and 15 hamstring reps.

Second run back, The Rabbit Hole Run 5.7m 1230', all runnable.

routemap1.jpg

routeprofile1.jpg

Needed to do this run to exorcise a demon, last time i tried this route my foot went down a rabbit hole resulting in the worst ankle injury i've ever had. Felt better this week dispite another fairly long route, broke it up with a powerwalk warm up and frequent stops.

Decided to experiment with barefoot running style foot striking to see if it will make a difference, as far as i can see it's like learning to run again. Feels like i'm slowing down when i'm actually wanting to go forward because my forefoot strike is acting like a brake and scuffing on the floor. It seems to work better going uphill and i feel very comfortable descending with a long stride, but utilising a flat foot strike descending is something i do sometimes anyway to get a better purchase on the ground. It tires out your front hip flexors fairly quickly, and with the added knee drive versus a heel strike i feel like i'm wasting energy jumping up rather than going forwards. I'll persist with it, see what happens. Spent 10mins stood in Skyreholme Beck in an abandoned wierpool up to my thighs- felt good, might do it again.

Super Moderator
    Well done Luke. Just get out and run for a few weeks; don't worry about form etc
    Poacher turned game-keeper