Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

New session today, i felt that the 5k fartleks were getting a bit easy and that i was arriving home not having really killed myself.

Tinshill Lane rep, 1x 0.7m/240'
    Carr Bridge Drive reps, 2x 0.25m/110'
    5k Fartlek in woods

Total 5.5m/810' including the jogging between the efforts. It was a bit of a challenge in the heat, but i'll keep it going and see what happens.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Turnslack race today, 8m/2000'. I raced quite well, lost ground on the hills, but committed and made it back on the flats and descents. I was close to the lad in front of me on the final overgrown run off, but the bracken was thick and I chose not to go full speed in case I hit a rock. Visibility was bad in places, the trod was completely obscured. Points wise, I should be in the low 80s.

50m ride to the craven arms and back today. Legs a bit sore from turnslack, but still cracked a sub 2h50m. Thankfully restrictions have been abolished and I can now stand by the range with a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    50m ride to the craven arms and back today. Legs a bit sore from turnslack, but still cracked a sub 2h50m. Thankfully restrictions have been abolished and I can now stand by the range with a beer.
    Surely a bit warm to stand by the range!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Tinshill Lane rep, 1x 0.7m/240'
    Carr Bridge Drive reps, 2x 0.25m/110'
    5k Fartlek in woods
    Total 5.5m/810'

I felt like i could do more CBD reps today, like i was going quite fast for some reason, probably not being too hot. I decided to keep it at 2 until i know i can comfortably complete the session without issues. I've got more compensation issues down my left ITB after picking up a back sprain at Turnslack, it was feeling a bit sore.

Someone was holding a baby up the their front window on Carr Bridge Drive, which was hugely entertained by me running back and forth. I waved at the little fella and he/she got very excited and waved back.

Sad news of Ron Hill's passing last month, just heard.

No running this weekend, i got my back adjusted at the chiropractor on friday so hopefully the over-compensation will go away, but i need to rest it. Hitting it with Dit Da Jow compress as we speak.

50m bike ride up to Burnsall today.

I definitely crocked my back a bit at Turnslack, my left ITB is still doing for too much work. To add to this my second covid jab caused such a bad headache that my back hurt all the way down.

Only managed one rep of Tinshill Lane and two of Carr Bridge Drive before i had to call it. It was a very flat session, just like the ones you have after a long lay-off. I think the covid jab has hit my aerobic performance.

50m on the bike yesterday, craven arms and back, the fire was on which was quite nice. David says he doesn't want to take cash ever again, card only.

I tried cycling uphill in the saddle a number of times to see what happened, normally this makes my knee medially sore. I can feel a bit today, but i think i got away with it. It seems to be much harder work than dancing on the pedals, which is my preference.

I've had to give in to the pain in my left leg, it needs a coat of looking at. I've only had one proper session in the last 3 weeks, which was Eldwick gala on saturday, and didn't i know it! This injury pattern is worsening in the long term and is therefore unsustainable.

Tightness and lack of mobility in my back, which i knew about already, is just one layer of this problem. A visit to the Podiatrist for a biomech analysis revealed one other layer at least, which is the tendancy for me to roll my foot outwards and take off from the smaller toes not the big toe. Tests revealed i claw with my toes too, which explains why the nails on my second toes end up damaged and bloody. All of this loads up the outside of your leg from the bottom up, while my lower back problems load it up from above. I'm going deeper than ever with the stretches and have an exercise to do before my next appointment in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile i have to be sensible with how much running i'm doing...easier said than done.

Crowden Horseshoe today, 8.5m/1700'. I've not done a meduim session for about 6wks now and i felt it. I decided to back-load my race and fast walk wherever possible; i plan these things before the day of the race and stick to them, planning a strategy on race day means you can make bad decisions where injuries are concerned (by getting too excited).

This meant i had to watch Tindersticks run off in front of me at the start when really i'd have liked to have been on his coat tails. There weren't too many useful descents and the course was very wet, with regular very heavy showers drenching you. The trods were tricky and i crocked both ankles at least once, but i think my ankle stability might be affected by the gait correction exercises the Podiatrist has given me.