Page 43 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Did this tonight, works better in poor light because the downhills are slow legs. Woods floor is covered in dead leaves too, tricky spotting ankle busters. About 5k factoring in the hills.

Warm up- Calisthenic exercises, joint mobils, basic stretches at home.

Leg 1- Warm up, linear uphill, 0.45m/116', easy
    Leg 2- Uphill, 0.26m/86', interval
    Leg 3- Downhill, 0.21m/-80', easy
    Leg 4- Undulating uphill, 0.4m/65', tempo increasing to interval pace
    Leg 5- Flat, 0.1m, easy
    Leg 6- Flat, 0.24m, tempo
    Leg 7- Downhill, 0.25m/-80', easy
    Leg 8- Uphill, 0.28m/80', hard increasing to interval pace
    Leg 9- Flat slow walk, 30mtrs
    Leg 10- Downhill, 0.18m/-85', fast
    Leg 11- Flat, 0.17m, moderate, below tempo
    Leg 12- Linear downhill, 0.26m/-73', tempo increasing to final 30mtr sprint
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Legend? I thought he was more of a Prat!
    National treasure. Up there with Gascoigne.

Had a run round the 'Full Tour of The Fairy Hills' today. The world's most improvised and contrived fell run. I've included a profile with the map so people can begin to make some sense of it.

I think i'm faster up the first ascent of Elbolton Hill, leg speed work is really paying off. I was blowing and flailing like a severed air line on the first descent of Stebden Hill, i had to stop at the fell gate to catch my breath and try not to collapse. This route always asks a lot of you.

routemap25.jpg fairy.jpg

5k fartlek tonight, if you can call it that, i'm sure the Nike Oregon project would say i'm doing it all wrong. I got barked at roundly by a nice dog that might have never seen a headtorch before and cheered on by a bunch of school children. Once again i'm tailing off early on the last third of the interval legs.

Might make this session bi-weekly due to the woods being a bit dodgy underfoot with all the leaves etc. I know a good road for 1.5min hill repeats.

Even for fellrunners, i've always been a fan of doing interval/rep sessions on road/track/grass rather than fell... after all, you're working your speed or speed-endurance, and i think that lends itself better to a good quality surface.

*i'm not rubbishing the need to run fast over difficult terrain, of course...

Foggy burn round the route of the Round Hill race today. Had that annoying dilemma during warmup of whether or not to go round the back of a bush for a No.2, no lavs nearby of course! Found a nice spot next to running water and used the sphagnum moss method. It can totally ruin your session sometimes if you decide to bake it.

Maltracking niggles are turning up in my left knee so i need to do some twice daily recruitment work on the VMO. I have a muscle bulk imbalance going on which could do with some attention now i've stepped up my routine. Left lateral is bigger than right lateral, and the left leg is overall larger than right. However right medial is well bulked and for the smaller of my legs overall it now performs perfectly. I need to increase left medial to at least the size of the right. This will take about 4-6 months and all this time i will have to make sure i don't come down with articular cartilage damage in my left kneecap.

My quote for the day has been from Anderson Cooper, "Here we see him, the most powerful man in the world, like an obese turtle flailing on his back in the hot sun. He knows his time is up and he's taking everyone down with him". An excellent observation.

Pea soup, that's about all i saw on today's 36m ride. It was that dense is was condensing out and wetting all my gear. Fewston Farm Shop is still trading, so i got a brew and a snack there. No more tuesday social runs with HH, unless i want to go on my own of course.

New session tonight due to the woods being a bit tricky in the dark.

Carr Bridge Drive reps, 0.25m/110', 5 reps.
    I started each rep at a pace i wanted to maintain throughout with the last 25m being a sprint over a flatter last section. The hard work started on about rep 4; i was all in at the top of the climb and was basically in o2 debt for the sprint. This is exactly what i wanted, a controlled burst on the hill followed by a last effort running on fumes with dead legs. I think only 2 of the 5 reps were hard, but i'm not making the mistake of going mental when this left kneecap problem is unresolved.

Our sponsors have nothing on their website about exercising local only, so i'm going to show the LSR Talons what bogs, scree and tussocks look like on sunday.

routemap30m.jpg

First real test for the LSR Talons today, conditions were soggy, but the clearance held out for the whole run.

10.5m/2500', setting off from Conistone and looping back up to Capplestone Gate trig from Kettlewell. Not a fast pace, just tempo, more about getting the climb in than anything. I've got a pretty advanced stretch from the Chiropractor to do for getting my left kneecap tracking better. As suspected the lateral quads are pulling it off to one side.

Carr Bridge Drive reps, 0.25m/110', 7 reps.

Set off too fast so the first rep was far too fast. Settled in ok around number 4. 2 extra than last week and felt quite good, my leg speed capabilities are boosting my performance where o2 starvation would normally peg me back.