Page 69 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. With false altitude training and beetroot, I'll be unstoppable.

I hope you're running better soon. But don't forget to take it easy and allow time to get over your virus.
    I did try beetroot about 15 years ago, under mildly scientific conditions: I set my bike on the turbo trainer, with an accurate speedometer on the rear wheel. I then did a session wearing my Polar heartrate monitor, of carefully timed duration at certain speeds, recording the heartrate regularly. I then drank large amounts of beetroot juice for two, or possibly three, weeks and then did the exact same session with the same conditions right down to the tyre pressure.

The results were pretty much identical; the same speed (and hence power) for the same heartrate. From memory it is the nitrate in beetroot that gives it the performance properties, but if you eat a lot of vegetables, (like I do), you will be getting a lot of nitrate any way so it's just expensive, purple, urine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's a shame CL no longer frequents these backwaters. We could discuss whether or not it's still doping if your own body is producing the EPO.
    Following your post I spent last night trawling the internet, and I've got the exercises so will be trying it. I have no qualms about EPO if it's produced naturally, (it's a hormone), and as I veer ever closer towards a return to competitive cycling ... I need all the help I can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I did try beetroot about 15 years ago, under mildly scientific conditions: I set my bike on the turbo trainer, with an accurate speedometer on the rear wheel. I then did a session wearing my Polar heartrate monitor, of carefully timed duration at certain speeds, recording the heartrate regularly. I then drank large amounts of beetroot juice for two, or possibly three, weeks and then did the exact same session with the same conditions right down to the tyre pressure.

The results were pretty much identical; the same speed (and hence power) for the same heartrate. From memory it is the nitrate in beetroot that gives it the performance properties, but if you eat a lot of vegetables, (like I do), you will be getting a lot of nitrate any way so it's just expensive, purple, urine.

Following your post I spent last night trawling the internet, and I've got the exercises so will be trying it. I have no qualms about EPO if it's produced naturally, (it's a hormone), and as I veer ever closer towards a return to competitive cycling ... I need all the help I can get!
    Nitrites, not nitrates...flack knows what the difference is. As I understand it, you take your dose about 2hrs before your run. I tried it for a parkrun one time and it made no difference, I think I ran a bit slower. They accidentally sent me another order so I had it before my pb Leeds 10k, which I've not yet attempted to better.

I always find that an appreciation of the paradigm in its entirety adds value, and that the originator requires you to fully understand the principles. I remember that my grandfather used to read the manual in full for every new car he ever bought, despite the pedals being in the same place.

Hmmm...on the red piss thing, if Noel got stung by a Red Fire Ant on the day of his big beetroot race he wouldn't know whether or not he was dying. Veg for thought...

Tried a Carr bridge drive session tonight, but my head wasn't in it at all, and I couldn't get the oxymeter working that I'd borrowed.

I've realised that I'm not enjoying it any more with this post viral crap. The fatigue is crippling, I just can't dig in at all. I might have to make a big change. My herbal dispensary lung tea has arrived and it tastes like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    My herbal dispensary lung tea has arrived and it tastes like crap.
    If it were nice, you couldn't tell yourself it's good for you.

Give it a week or so, viral fatigue takes time, but it does get better.

It's time for a change, racing hard isn't working for me and I'm not having any fun. It's got to be fun, ultimately, and if it's not what's the point. I'm quitting the KWL to focus on the advice given to me by Hannah the virologist; zone 2 training and resting. I'm going to have to keep my flat 450m reps going so I don't lose leg speed.

I'm going to use an approach of marginal gains; so in addition to training changes I'll be:

Herbal lung tea, 3 times daily.
    Garlic soup, Chinese medical recipe, 3 times weekly.
    Root veg soup, twice weekly maybe.
    Red meat, once a week.
    Increase magnesium intake, spray on rub.

Thursday will stay as Southway circuits, 6x450.
    Weekends will see me spending a lot of time on the trails above Bolton abbey and doing the 50 miler on the bike to the craven arms and back.

One obvious problem is having to stay in the zone 2 60-70 percent bandwidth when I don't have a wearable HR monitor. So how cheaply can you get a heart rate watch with no GPS or any of that bollocks. All I need is my instantaneous heart rate on the screen when I look at it, and not on an app cos I don't run with a phone.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 21-01-2022 at 09:17 PM.

First session trying to run at aerobic/base zone 2 pace today, it's hard going so slow, but i'm having fun again. I think my pulse rate was around 120bpm, and i was taking 6 steps for a full in/out breath cycle, my resting HR is about 50 and i don't know my max HR. It's a bit hard to work it all out without a device, if anyone has a spare HR watch i can borrow or buy, please give me a shout.

Shorter loop from the Cavendish Pavillion today, 7.8m/1600'. Hammerthorn Gate, loop round to the trail up Great Agill to Simons Seat, up the big hill, first right Barden Moor, first right downhill, uphill to Spring Brow then first right down to Broadshaw Farm, Valley of Desolation route back. You can get another mile and a half out of it be going to Simons Seat/Lords Seat and rejoining the route at Barden Moor.

Its flexible and uncomplicated, and a good route for muscle recruitment drills. At my leisurely pace i found plenty of time to make sure i was fully utilising VMO to fire out of every stride. Need to start getting a few rides into work during the week too.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I've got a spare Garmin Forerunner 35 Mr B, that will show your pulse rate at the wrist.

PM me your address and I'll post it. See how you get on with it and when you are done return it or make me an offer if you want to keep it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

50m ride to the Craven Arms and back yesterday. Taped my knee, but shouldn't have bothered, i forgot it only causes problems when cycling. The fire was unusually hot and it took me about 15m to start feeling the cold again. Hot ginger sponge cake and 3 pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I've got a spare Garmin Forerunner 35 Mr B, that will show your pulse rate at the wrist.

PM me your address and I'll post it. See how you get on with it and when you are done return it or make me an offer if you want to keep it.
    Cheers Llani, i've PMd you. Are you ok if i reset any stored data?