Page 58 of 131 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

I hadn't seen you around at the start but wondered if i'd just missed you.

There were a couple of really hairy descents and i was half-expecting you to come flying past at any minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I hadn't seen you around at the start but wondered if i'd just missed you.

There were a couple of really hairy descents and i was half-expecting you to come flying past at any minute!
    I don't think i'd have caught you, the climbs would have been too big. The drop off Brownber Hill looked hairy, with all the tips and levels everywhere it had all the hallmarks of a rocky nightmare.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Well, on thursday i showed this mystery foot maladie to the Podiatrist i'm doing gait work with, and he ragged it about a bit and did a round of fascia manipulations up my left leg. It seems to have given it a boost. He was rather unapproving of my years old x-talons that i run the streets in, saying they were totally knackered. When i told him i was planning to get them resoled by LSR he was horrified, and assured me the foam was dead and i'd be risking injury by doing that. He said i should get my hand in my pocket and buy some new shoes, so i did, i've got a pair of discounted f-lites for tarmac and upgraded my good talons to general trail running. I asked him if he had any advice on training milage going forward, and he said his advice is to start taking his advice.

A laboured and heavy feeling run up Rivington Pike today, 3.2m/700'. It took me 2h15m to get there because of the state of the motorways, and i didn't have time to de-stress and gather my thoughts, so i think i had a shit run. Traffic was crawling all the way from Ainley Top to J18 with the billboards assuring us that there were animals on the roads. Guess what, there weren't. I think some dick spotted a sheep close to the armco on Rishworth Moor and reported it in as a major accident hazard. Tindersticks got away from me at the start which is a sign i have no leg speed...still. It'll be a bad day for all 50@50'ers too judging by the blinder that Dan Haworth had. I went so deep in the last 100 that officials started crowding me at the finish thinking i was going to collapse; telling me to breath deeper and slower etc. I felt a bit dizzy.

9m speed endurance today, ACW lap of Thruscross starting and finishing at Swinsty car park. My foot was hurting a bit by the end, but if i'm to have a chance of getting to Cronkley i need to push on.

A very flat run at Grimsby this evening, about 3m. About a 1.5m tempo, 1m fast along the seawall, and some lamp post intervals to finish off. The sitting down on the training course has resulted in quite a bit of tightness, everywhere.

Saw some finches living in the marshes, and saw some sort of Egret-ish wading bird looking for food in the estuary mud. Usual stink of fish and rubbish.

Pretty strong run at Cronkley yesterday, and at 10.5m it was the longest run i've done in the last 10yrs. I fell in the river at the turn and the water started peeling my k tape off, which may have contributed to the right knee pain i was getting in the last half mile.

It was a really good route, i managed to catch a group of 3 including Tindersticks at the rejoining of the gravel track, and decided to go for a long one. I train for this kind of thing because people generally are less likely to go with you if you step on the gas with 15mins still to go.

Good stuff MrB.... Daz was saying today that you ran really strongly yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Good stuff MrB.... Daz was saying today that you ran really strongly yesterday.
    The course favoured me quite strongly, i had a good day. My right knee hurts a bit due to the distance so i might have to miss Theiveley...which won't favour me due to the distance. Keeping my powder dry for Curbar would be a better long term strategy.

Nice 50m ride to the craven arms and back on sunday. Not lighting the fire yet, though.

Theiveley Pike today, 4.3m 1350'. Don't remember the course being that rough and awkward to navigate, I went wrong on the final drop to the track and lost my advantage on the guy behind me. It's difficult to look up when you're all in. Tindersticks had a belter and rocked up eleventh, very close to a sub 40 iirc. I scored 81.5 points for the 50@50 which is better than I expected, the descents were greasy and rough which suited a PB Racer just fine.