Page 71 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Well, first things first.

The South to North postal service seems to be in better health than the North to South one. Perhaps the horses are losing shoes coming over Shap or there might be a Highwayman or two still active in the Crowden area as I still haven't received my original or replacement FRA 2022 calendar.

With regards to the Forerunner 35 and HR info mine tells me that my average resting is 49, not bad for an old codger. However it sometimes tells me that my HR has been as high as 210 whilst running even though I don't feel as if I'm on the limit.

How accurate they are I do not know but I suspect that variables like how tight is the strap, how sweaty you are, and in winter, do you wear it over a baselayer sleeve cuff will come into play.

I don't tend to look at the HR when I run as I'll frighten myself but no doubt if you do then you will get a feel for it and hopefully be able to get some benefit.

I think if you want really accurate HR info then you best get one of those ladies bra type things that professional footballers wear.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 26-01-2022 at 12:47 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Basically, i'm getting all this data, but i don't know what i'm expecting to see.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I don't look at HR, but people who do, tell me that its only accurate when you use a chest strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I don't look at HR, but people who do, tell me that its only accurate when you use a chest strap.
    Yes but even then you need good skin contact and you can still lose the signal erratically and get odd results (eg a pulse over 200 when it clearly is not).

I have a "proper" BP device (since my daughter is a nurse) and I know that BP and pulse are not rock steady even when resting - they can only be indicative. But my resting pulse of 54 this morning (BP 107/66) is about what it has been for the last 25 years.

I have retained test results (blood analyses, CRT traces etc) for over 30 years since I had regular company medicals. A few years ago I ended up with a haematologist who was concerned about an abnormality in my blood but because I could show him an analysis from 20 years before he concluded the abnormality was just "me", I was at the extreme end of the normal distribution curve, I didn't have leukaemia and if I could still run up mountains it was more than he could so hey!

So keeping data can be useful!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 26-01-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Basically, i'm getting all this data, but i don't know what i'm expecting to see.
    I think the most important thing is learning where your zones are and calibrating your training accordingly. So try to find your maximum HR as described using the "field test" bit on here: https://www.polar.com/blog/calculate...-rate-running/

Then work our what your % zones are. Then when you're doing your weekly long run (for example), if you're routinely higher than you should be (maybe 60-70%), you know to slow down.

For those without HR gizmos, its worth noting that your 2 mile/3km pace corresponds closely with heart rate zones.

So another option is to run a flat-out 2 mile/3km and this is your "base", then work out your training zone paces back from that.

For those without HR gizmos, its worth noting that your 2 mile/3km pace corresponds closely with heart rate zones.

So another option is to run a flat-out 2 mile/3km and this is your "base", then work out your training zone paces back from that.
    Or you can ride up, say, Park Rash, Kettlewell as hard as you can.

Your max HR is just before you pass out and fall off.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

So you'll deffo hit max HR off 3k flat out?

The main concern i have is that my HR does not increase proportionally with my breathing rate, but should i expect it to? The HR reading is slightly erratic, but i was told it would be so i can ignore this.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

The main concern i have is that my HR does not increase proportionally with my breathing rate, but should i expect it to? The HR reading is slightly erratic, but i was told it would be so i can ignore this.

Well i believe that there's some difference between the definition of physical "max HR" and your maximum useable HR from a running point of view. But that is going beyond the (very limited) scope of my knowledge on the subject!

But yes a 3km race-pace corresponds very closely to max HR pace for running purposes (to the best of my understanding)

Master

The main concern i have is that my HR does not increase proportionally with my breathing rate,
    but should i expect it to? The HR reading is slightly erratic, but i was told it would be so i can ignore this.
    I you haven`t already done so check out NASAL BREATHING:-

https://oxygenadvantage.com/nasal-breathing-running/

As opposed to mouth breathing, if you decide to try nasal breathing you will need to stick with it for a while and train your body to adapt and you will be training not just your body but your breathing also and it ain`t easy to change a lifetimes habit.

All the best
    The older I get the Faster I was