Page 47 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

I recieved comments to that effect the first time i bought a team up to the Lee Mill Relays...

the Calder Valley lads... "can't believe you came all the way up from Coventry to run round a shitty quarry..."

my reply was "you haven't seen Coventry..."

Nevermind Bedworth😂

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Nevermind Bedworth��
    Quite!

I have to say i didn't necessarily agree with the negative comments of the Calder guys, and think the Lee Mill Relay is a goodun'...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I have to say i didn't necessarily agree with the negative comments of the Calder guys, and think the Lee Mill Relay is a goodun'...
    Given that it's the most popular event on the Calder Valley FR annual calendar, with 8 teams entered last year, I think they were probably just pulling your leg Travs!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I'd like to say that if Otley Chevin is good enough for Emma Clayton then it's good enough for me; but I can't, and it isn't. I'd like to blame the conditions, but it's crap all year round really, it's just a bit of a shitshow and that's how it is.

A couple of loops around a carefully planned route today, totals looked something like 8m/2400'. The gaff just doesn't have any charm really. I saw a nice old drinking trough hewn from the grit which interested me, and that's about that really. The MTB black and red downhill runs are fairly easy to locate and provide a good gradient to work with. Running around that place reminds me of how I ended up a fell runner in the first place; to get away from it!
    Oh my goodness, How dare you diss the Chevin! It's marvelous with so many varied routes. Mind you I do live in Otley.
    It has got very busy recently with too many badly behaved dogs, but it's been a blessing having it on the doorstep during lockdown. It would be good to go further afield, but the Chevin will do for now.
    Had a couple of brilliant headtorch runs up there in the recent snow.

I've just had a look around it on GoogleMaps, and whilst yes it isn't the height of fellrunning paradise, you guys are lucky to have somewhere vaguely rural and steep to train on.

I had to run 15 miles to get 700ft of climb off-road yesterday. You guys can do that in a 1 mile hill rep.

Carr Bridge Drive reps last night, 0.25m 110', 6 reps.

Not a bad session all in all. I was hitting the right workrate at the crest of the hill and was able to kill myself over the last 40m to the grit bin. I mostly hit the grit bin utterly exhausted and in o2 debt, which is where i needed to be. It's funny how the first rep is so awful and hurts so badly; i think it's because your body isn't used to the suffering and tells you it can't handle it. It takes about 2 or 3 before your body remembers it can actually survive.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I think there's a lot to be said for that. Training does many things of course, but one of them is letting your body (and mind) know that it can be pushed in the red.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Not a bad session all in all. I was hitting the right workrate at the crest of the hill and was able to kill myself over the last 40m to the grit bin. I mostly hit the grit bin utterly exhausted and in o2 debt, which is where i needed to be. It's funny how the first rep is so awful and hurts so badly; i think it's because your body isn't used to the suffering and tells you it can't handle it. It takes about 2 or 3 before your body remembers it can actually survive.
    I did my Outwoods reps today (lunchtime, so I had the bright sunshine between the trees to my left): slightly longer and steeper than yours (0.3m, 150ft). Like you, I felt awful on the first rep, but was shocked to see how fast I had done it (2m42s). Unfortunately, although I felt much better on reps 5 and 6 (the last two), the times were much slower (2m51s and 2m53s).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Not a bad session all in all. I was hitting the right workrate at the crest of the hill and was able to kill myself over the last 40m to the grit bin.
    Just had a look at Carr Bridge Drive on Google Streetview. Found the grit bin; I reckon you should be turning right up Carr Bridge Close from there as your final push.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges