Page 64 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Hope you are back home safe now Luke. Not the day to be driving around although it did come down pretty quick. I can see why you got caught out.
    I checked the weather from the boozer on saturday evening, no mention of snow.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Flat speed session with Horsforth Harriers tonight, 10x400 alternating with a pair runner. Wheezing quite a bit, still struggling to get the air in. My hams are feeling like they did a lot of work which rarely happens.

What time are you doing those in, and with how much recovery? (I assume recovery is 70-90secs depending on your partner?)

My hamstrings always suffered when I started doing track work.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    What time are you doing those in, and with how much recovery? (I assume recovery is 70-90secs depending on your partner?)

My hamstrings always suffered when I started doing track work.
    My new Fastime athletics stopwatch is still in the post, so i'll have to post some times up after the next session...whenever that is. I'm hoping for an average over the 10 of no more than 75s, with the fastest being 70 and the slowest 80.

They run it on a circular housing development, not a track. It's perfectly flat and 400 if you hug the kerb, or so i'm told.

I slept awfully last night and i have a terrible headache, which i think is something to do with the exertion levels involved.

That's very decent. Will be interesting to see if you hit those times.

I did 12 a couple of weeks ago at 80secs, off 90secs rest, although it was my first hard rep session for a bit. But when i'm regularly doing speedwork, i can often hit 75's.

70 is currently out of my league!

I always have trouble switching off and sleeping after a similar session! It's definitely the exertion and intensity.

I'm perhaps being optimistic then, we'll see.

No hill intervals tonight, i'm resting for cardington. I've started doing weight work on an inclined leg press in the gym at my workplace. Weekly sessions on medium weight have never worked for me, so i'm going to reverse everything. I'm trying one set of reps to near failure on 180kg every fortnight, i went to 20 today.

180kg is some going....

i do incline leg press, but only at about 90kg. But i'm usually doing several reps of 20 with perhaps 30secs rest between sets, and i'm doing that several times a week (much less when racing).

Although as a bit of a change i'm adding in some squats with one of those heavy duty chains wrapped around me.... they only weigh about 20-30kg, but save time on waiting for, then using the squat rack. Again multiple sets with up to 20 reps.

It's about a 45 deg. incline. What you describe has never worked for me in the past, it's exactly what gives me issues. A good fly fishing tip i once got was to change to a totally different fly if the pattern you are using is not catching you fish.

Yes same one for me, 45deg...

Oh definitely if it's not working then discard it. Although to be honest i've been a gym-goer for 25 years pretty much without a break, and found what works for me... i'm a rarity in my gym though, most of the others are lifting maximum weight for very low reps (i.e trying to push their 1-rep-maximum)

50m ride to the craven arms and back today, which was just self abuse the way I feel. I was ok when I got inside and got stuck into a pint and a jam roly poly with custard, but the riding part was uncomfortable due to sinus pain and cold air. It was like a bad day on an Atlantic trawler when I set out, and I had to brace myself to the task like never before just to keep pedalling.

I had a 6.45 alarm set for Cardington, but at 5.30 when I was up for the fourth time for aspirin having only slept for about 5h, I knew it was off.