Page 60 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Curbar today, 9.8m/1400', not a good performance. I was in a line of runners all hitting 7m/ml pace through the woods under Curbar Edge, but it all went to pieces after the climb up Froggatt Edge. The headwind was strong and i don't have the leg power to drive through it, people were just sailing past me on what was a fairly flat track, this went on for about 4m and i had the same issues on the downhills. The climb up out of Baslow was torturous, old codgers were just jogging away from me. I took about 30s out of the guys in front of me down Bar Road and Yeld Wood and was on their backs, but lost it all and more on top, my legs were shot to pieces. My V40 rival in the 50@50 has got his skates on now too, he ran very well indeed, don't know how much longer i'll be leading the charge.
    Well this "old codger" didn't jog away from you Mr Brightside but finished 4 places behind in 32nd, and in so doing, winning a "Runners Pedicure Treatment" as the 1st MV60 prize.

I did have a look around the finish for someone wearing No 175 so that I could say hello to you but it had started to piss down and everyone had donned jackets. Tindersticks seemed to have a decent run finishing 18th.

Speaking of him I'm going to do a bit of Fishwicking by running the Chelmorton Chase tomorrow!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

What you've got to remember is that these old codgers that give you a run for your money were race winners back in the day, and are still surprisingly agile.

50m ride to the craven arms and back today. Showers all day long. I love the smell of paraffin as you walk in, it's like stepping back in time 50yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

50m ride to the craven arms and back today. Showers all day long. I love the smell of paraffin as you walk in, it's like stepping back in time 50yrs.
    How do you know? You're a V40!

Langdale today, 12.4m 5000'. Not cup of tea. Every one of these I've done has been crap; langdale, coledale, grisedale...not a clue what the views look like.

50m bike ride to the Craven Arms and back today, average speeed was over 16mph which is quite good for the winter shitter with mudguards. I decided not to go for a run on saturday and rest myself from Langdale, my right knee was feeling the strain up Blisco.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Only just got back on my feet again after the uber-cold, and it showed at Hutton Roof today. Should have been in the low 80s, but finished up with 78 50@50 points. Everything was a massive struggle, even descending, and i was losing places in all the wrong places for me. I burned out very early on the climb up Blasterfoot Gap and never got any of the places back again, by the end of the race my throat was so sore and dry that i had a helium voice. It was a torturous 7m/1300' and the air was blue with curses at the foot of the final descent when i slipped, went down in the splits and dragged my hand through a load of nettles. I was seriously overreaching my personal limit given my health status.

Keep going MrB.... we need all the hardcore racers we can get on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Keep going MrB.... we need all the hardcore racers we can get on the forum!
    Cheers Pete. I honestly couldn't have run it a day earlier, my throat just wouldn't have taken it. It sucks bigtime cos now Matt Dunn is flying up behind me in the 50@50. I don't know what his plans are. but it looks like he's bagged it.

My sore throat kept me away today but as I am not going for 50@50 points it was no big deal. Hopefully it will have settled down in time for the Clwydian Hills next weekend.

Like Trav's says MrB, keep at it and the prize could still be yours!

Black Lane Ends today, 3.9m/1000'. Another awful day at the races, been on a course of antibiotics all week to try and shift my throat infection, it's going slowly, but the coughing is still going strong.

I started at my usual speed today, but it was too fast for my reduced aerobic capacity and i soon ran myself into o2 debt. The climbs were murder, nothing in the legs, no power and little speed. I was coughing up crap all way round and i nearly threw up in my coughing fit as i left the finish line. Most people probably wouldn't torture themselves like this, they'd just go steady and wait for better days. Great presentation after and great to sink a couple of pints of White Witch whilst i was there.