Page 56 of 131 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Aldermans Ascent today, 5.3m/1300'. Possible the worst i've ever performed in a race. About 10mins in i started feeling empty and very hot, i kept doing my best and had a fairly good descent to the far CP in the bottom. Setting off out of the gill to the base of the climb my legs didn't want to run at all. The climb was punishing and i was out of water by the top, i had a gel which i think may have made to worse, my mouth was so dry. From then on i just got slower and slower, i couldn't even get going on the downhills. I decided i was on the edge of heat exhaustion and started to look for water, which i found in the form of a very small trickle running off the fell. I managed to get about half a litre down me and felt a lot better, i splashed some on my face and ended up with grit in my eyes. From then on i got progressively faster and was running comfortably over the last half mile. It just goes to show how chemically necessary water is to the body's performance, even if you're still moving and upright you can still be well down on power.

Today i met Martha Tibott from Saddleworth Runners, a young lady in her twenties. She staggered past me on her last quarter mile run into the finish of the ladies race and looked awful. I back tracked and found her collapsed in a bush in the ginnel, it took her 3 attempts to tell me her name and she was badly heat exhausted with blood coming out of both knees and foam from her mouth. I gave her some water, but she was getting less and less compus mentus. I shouted the corner marshal to get a first aider quickly, she arrived and i left her to her job.

The first and biggest problem i had was not knowing whether it was a first aider case or an ambulance case, and having this level of responsibility towards another helpless human being was quite overbearing. If anyone knows how she is, i'd be thankful for good news.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

There is a post on Fell Runners UK which says she is in hospital on a drip but talking OK and once rehydrated should be fine.

Well done on your initial actions Mr B. I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Having seen some of the ladies at the end of their race I think I hydrated a bit too much and was burping and belching on the first climb. Apologies to anyone in the vicinity. I set off really slow and kept it that way until the last mile run in. Managed to get round in 57.29, which considering the heat was happy with.

The last time I felt heat like that was getting off an aeroplane and walking across the tarmac in Kuwait.

An enjoyable day, very well organised and a great burger washed down with a couple of pints of Bad Ass Blonde from the Donkeystone Brewery Co.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 18-07-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Last time i felt heat like that i was walking out of Atlanta Airport in summer.

50m bike ride to Appletreewick and back today. New PB set of 2h49m, when i got up today i didn't feel like i'd done a race yesterday, the heat restricted me that badly.

New session today, i felt that the 5k fartleks were getting a bit easy and that i was arriving home not having really killed myself.

Tinshill Lane rep, 1x 0.7m/240'
    Carr Bridge Drive reps, 2x 0.25m/110'
    5k Fartlek in woods

Total 5.5m/810' including the jogging between the efforts. It was a bit of a challenge in the heat, but i'll keep it going and see what happens.

Turnslack race today, 8m/2000'. I raced quite well, lost ground on the hills, but committed and made it back on the flats and descents. I was close to the lad in front of me on the final overgrown run off, but the bracken was thick and I chose not to go full speed in case I hit a rock. Visibility was bad in places, the trod was completely obscured. Points wise, I should be in the low 80s.

50m ride to the craven arms and back today. Legs a bit sore from turnslack, but still cracked a sub 2h50m. Thankfully restrictions have been abolished and I can now stand by the range with a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    50m ride to the craven arms and back today. Legs a bit sore from turnslack, but still cracked a sub 2h50m. Thankfully restrictions have been abolished and I can now stand by the range with a beer.
    Surely a bit warm to stand by the range!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Tinshill Lane rep, 1x 0.7m/240'
    Carr Bridge Drive reps, 2x 0.25m/110'
    5k Fartlek in woods
    Total 5.5m/810'

I felt like i could do more CBD reps today, like i was going quite fast for some reason, probably not being too hot. I decided to keep it at 2 until i know i can comfortably complete the session without issues. I've got more compensation issues down my left ITB after picking up a back sprain at Turnslack, it was feeling a bit sore.

Someone was holding a baby up the their front window on Carr Bridge Drive, which was hugely entertained by me running back and forth. I waved at the little fella and he/she got very excited and waved back.

Sad news of Ron Hill's passing last month, just heard.

No running this weekend, i got my back adjusted at the chiropractor on friday so hopefully the over-compensation will go away, but i need to rest it. Hitting it with Dit Da Jow compress as we speak.

50m bike ride up to Burnsall today.