Page 70 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Cheers Llani, i've PMd you. Are you ok if i reset any stored data?
    Posted it this afternoon 1st class. Yes, clear whatever you want off it. Just realised that I did not enclose the user guide but I am sure you will be able to work it out or find info on the internet!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Posted it this afternoon 1st class. Yes, clear whatever you want off it. Just realised that I did not enclose the user guide but I am sure you will be able to work it out or find info on the internet!
    Awesome, thanks. I've downloaded a .pdf user guide, as long as the charging/comms adapter is there i'm good to go. How long have you had it, and what made it redundant to you?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Awesome, thanks. I've downloaded a .pdf user guide, as long as the charging/comms adapter is there i'm good to go. How long have you had it, and what made it redundant to you?
    I remembered to put the charging cable in!

Can't recall exactly when I bought it but the user manual was printed in 2016 so I would guess 2016/17.

I liked it so much as it does the basics well that in 2019 I bought one for my son, who was running at the time, but now doesn't use it as he has "retired" from running and just swims 4/5 times a week and plays football.
    The one I got for him was reduced as it has a yellow strap which he did not like so we swapped, and I quite like it!
    Like I said before see how you get on with it and let me know what you want to do in a few weeks or so when hopefully you will have shaken off your lurgy.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I remembered to put the charging cable in!

Can't recall exactly when I bought it but the user manual was printed in 2016 so I would guess 2016/17.

I liked it so much as it does the basics well that in 2019 I bought one for my son, who was running at the time, but now doesn't use it as he has "retired" from running and just swims 4/5 times a week and plays football.
    The one I got for him was reduced as it has a yellow strap which he did not like so we swapped, and I quite like it!
    Like I said before see how you get on with it and let me know what you want to do in a few weeks or so when hopefully you will have shaken off your lurgy.
    I'm a bit concerned that i'll get hooked on all the data it provides, and decide i can't live without a wearable. At least i'll know the time; currently i have to ask other runners warming up for the time at races, the most important thing for me is to be warming up near someone with a watch! It's astonishing how scarce publicly viewable timepieces of one sort or another are these days.

I eventually got a GPS watch approx a year ago (again kindly provided free of charge, by a very occasional forumite and friend)

I must admit i got quite engrossed in looking at all the data. Particularly looking at my rep sessions in minute detail on the PC screen to see where i could improve.

Although now the novelty has worn off, the only thing i find useful over and above a normal stopwatch is the fact that i can measure my distance for reps and total run distance. I tend to not even bother checking my pace when doing reps/races now.... feeling that i know when i'm pushing or have got more to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I eventually got a GPS watch approx a year ago (again kindly provided free of charge, by a very occasional forumite and friend)

I must admit i got quite engrossed in looking at all the data. Particularly looking at my rep sessions in minute detail on the PC screen to see where i could improve.

Although now the novelty has worn off, the only thing i find useful over and above a normal stopwatch is the fact that i can measure my distance for reps and total run distance. I tend to not even bother checking my pace when doing reps/races now.... feeling that i know when i'm pushing or have got more to give.
    I have used Garmins since you had to wind them up, including on my bike, and I find the heart monitor useful because it indicates when I am in the "red zone" and also when I have "switched off" and need to give myself a mental kick.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It's arrived. I almost cut through the strap unpacking it and thereby buying it automatically before i'd even seen it. The big news is, my resting heart rate is 48, any less and i'd be in anthony kay's back garden getting eaten by red kites.

48 is good.

The last time i had mine properly measured was 49, although i recently self-measured 44 using a stopwatch (process not 100% accurate!!)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    It's arrived. I almost cut through the strap unpacking it and thereby buying it automatically before i'd even seen it. The big news is, my resting heart rate is 48, any less and i'd be in anthony kay's back garden getting eaten by red kites.
    I was rather surprised to find, while having various measurements taken while I was an experimental subject in 2017 (some research to do with blood vessel health), that my resting heart rate was 42bpm. Anyway, the red kites haven't come for me yet, probably because the territory around my place is patrolled by a buzzard, which apparently doesn't regard me as very tasty.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Interesting first session with the Garmin tonight, hills with Horsforth Harriers. Right from the off i could have sworn the watch was lying to me- my heart rate was up at 102, but i was barely blowing above normal, so steady i could use my nose comfortably.

Top of the first 1min hill rep and i'm jelly-legged and totally exhausted, i look at the watch and it says 105...should i expect that?

It wasn't until the 4th rep it started to finish up at 135, and 148 on the 5th. On the recoveries, though, it never got anywhere near resting despite my breathing slowing dramatically.

At the end of the next set of 6 on a different hill it hit the 170s fairly consistently in the last 3 reps, and never dropped below 145.

So basically i'm confused by the fact that my heart rate doesn't in any way reflect my oxygen requirements, the two seem totally unconnected. Is this normal? I can start out with very steady breathing with the Garmin giving me a zone figure of 3.2. HR does not always seem to reflect percieved effort...is this right?