Page 10 of 131 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

3k on the rower at 26-28SPM, seemed very easy for some reason, barely broke a sweat. Steady as she goes for now, the colours aren't quite nailed to the mast on this one yet.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

18m 1750' hill ride yesterday, freezing cold, feet like blocks of ice. Braved Staircase Lane for the gids of it, very dicey in snow and ice. Knees seem to be coping ok with all this cycling, wonder if anything will change when i get back running from this Achilles thing.

Banned
    Will you be back for BOFRA series Luke?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Will you be back for BOFRA series Luke?
    Things keep taking me by surprise, Trev, i'm not so sure this Achilles problem isn't linked to the little Plantar Fascia type issue i had a few months ago. Things in the tissue chain look to have become overloaded in some way, and it's probably linked to my trying to use a forefoot strike when the ground suits. I'm planning on coming over for the KWL Elterwater Common race; since the loss of Austwick this is the one i like the best out of the counters, but Arant Haw is top notch. There's plenty of time to get tripped up before Sedbergh Gala, but if i can be there i will be there.

5k on the rower today. Some C2 nuts on a rowing forum have been teaching me how to row properly and it's all of a sudden got a lot harder. I was at 26-28spm, i'm now at 22-24. It's actually quite unpleasant zipping back and forth on this contraption with nothing but a power curve for entertainment and sore arms, it should get better though. 21.30 to row 5k is embarrasing compared to what some of those C2 nuts can do.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Things keep taking me by surprise, Trev, i'm not so sure this Achilles problem isn't linked to the little Plantar Fascia type issue i had a few months ago. Things in the tissue chain look to have become overloaded in some way, and it's probably linked to my trying to use a forefoot strike when the ground suits.
    Have you looked out for a Strasbourg Sock I told you about in Keswick, Luke? I think PF and Achilles issues are invariably related and a Strasbourg Sock works wonders for both. Cured my PF.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Things keep taking me by surprise, Trev, i'm not so sure this Achilles problem isn't linked to the little Plantar Fascia type issue i had a few months ago. Things in the tissue chain look to have become overloaded in some way, and it's probably linked to my trying to use a forefoot strike when the ground suits.
    Have you looked out for a Strasbourg Sock I told you about in Keswick, Luke? I think PF and Achilles issues are invariably related and a Strasbourg Sock works wonders for both. Cured my PF

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Have you looked out for a Strasbourg Sock I told you about in Keswick, Luke? I think PF and Achilles issues are invariably related and a Strasbourg Sock works wonders for both. Cured my PF
    Physios said that wearing one would compress the bursa, and with me having symptoms of bursitis it may not do me much good. I'm only a week away from a run now anyway.

Today's run- KWL Birkrigg Common, 3m/550' ran fairly hard but stayed in the comfort zone.

I've taken the path of progressing the recovery from my Achilles Tendon/Bursitis thing through stages which weren't initially specified by the physio. I was told to use the edge of a step or fireplace in this case to hang off the edge of with the ankle at 90 deg. I chose to use an intermediate progression of bouncing on it just using the natural spring in the tissue chain. At first it produced a fair bit of soreness and i was one day on two days off with walks up to 5m at the weekends, but it got better week on week and i was able to rehab in a controlled progression to the point where i can now run a few miles pain free. I like this approach of progressing in a controlled manner and finding ways of replicating stride actions which could relapse you if you get back too soon, i find it gives results.

Fairmile next week, that'll be fun, it's a grueller. Going to have to watch the descent because my right ankle still has another couple of months to go before i'm over the roll i did it a while back.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 01-02-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Today's run- KWL Fairmile, 2.5m/1400'.

I'm on a self-imposed SUFD regime for these steep runs, that's slow up fast down. It just means i have to start at the back and climb like i was out for a walk, but it seems to give me just enough breathing space. Went for k tape and Leukotape today, didn't want to take any chances as i have quads tendon soreness still bugging me more than 2yrs on if i push it. I definitely think the tendon problems and the patella cartilage problems are connected and will both go away simultaneously or never at all.

The views from the col and the summit were a sight to behold. The inversion layer was up to around 450m above sea level meaning the view was one of a sea of clag with islands of snowy summits peeping out of the pea soup.