Page 102 of 131 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1305

Thread: mr b's comeback

50m on the bike today up to the craven arms and back. Pain in the arse headwind all the way there. I've started having a 'crumble of the day' for my food, it seems to be more filling and more calorie dense than the other options. 3 beers drunk. Stopped at otley waitrose on the way back for a coffee and reduced price cake, as yet i haven't had any crap off a jobsworth for parking my bike up in the supermarket by the cafe.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Inclined leg press reps to failure at 160kg has now increased to 30, from 25. It used to kill me doing 25, but it's easy now. This is off one set per week, very little.

That is good going... i don't think i ever do more than about 120kg tops.... and usually well less... can't bring myself to do "heavy reps" on top of 70 miles and two hard sessions every week, something would give...
    Last edited by Travs; 22-02-2023 at 07:10 PM.

remember it's an inclined press, power required to move it is reduced by the sine of the angle.

Oh yeah, its by no means a "proper" squat, but still decent.

I've been advised by my physio to do all my strength work single-leg to put more work through the (i think) Patella Tendon, as i have tendonitis of it (more commonly known as "runners knee") So i'm starting at about 50kg on the incline (i expect this to rise quite quickly when i get used to the movement), as it is certainly not equivalent to lifting exactly half what you can with two legs. Also going to start looking at single leg squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've been advised by my physio to do all my strength work single-leg to put more work through the (i think) Patella Tendon, as i have tendonitis of it (more commonly known as "runners knee") So i'm starting at about 50kg on the incline (i expect this to rise quite quickly when i get used to the movement), as it is certainly not equivalent to lifting exactly half what you can with two legs. Also going to start looking at single leg squats.
    When I reached 2 x body weight (on the bar) when doing conventional squats last year, I realised that although my legs could have taken more, my back wouldn't. At this point, I switched to single squats with 1.1 x body weight on the bar.

The problem with this is technique, or rather my lack of it, which is not helped by having one leg noticeable stronger than the other. For safety reasons I am doing this between to metal shelving systems, which are rated to 180kg per shelf, which is just as well as I am still wobbling - although this is slowly improving.

I have also tried pistol squats, which also require more co-ordination skill than I currently have, and I have attached a link below to a Runners World article for anyone who's interested. As a no-equipment, safe exercise it's worth looking at.

https://www.runnersworld.com/trainin...-pistol-squat/

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Oh yeah, its by no means a "proper" squat, but still decent.

You can do it 2 legged for better stability but get your knees far out over your toes, this biases quads, sticking your arse out and getting weight on your heels gets the glutes more involved. Stability is an issue on one leg, i never lift weight on one leg.

We've got one of those contraptions in the gym where you do the squat with the weight fixed round your waist with a lifting belt.

Belt squat machine, basically an industrial-scale version of this...

https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-belt-s...%20Catch%20All

Its definitely more stable, so might be a good starting point for me on single-leg squats....

While its more stable, it comes at the expense of taking any working away from your core/back, and completely shifts the focus to lower body.

But might be good for getting the movement nailed.

CBD reps again tonight, though its ocurred to me theres enough daylight to get back in the woods.

5x0.25m/110'
    1.44, 1.53, 1.52, 1.51, 1.54

An overly exuberant start, but its nice to know i still have a sub 1.45 in me for this rep.

High Cup Nick on saturday, ill be going for a pb.

I tried out single-leg squats for first time tonight... definitely needs major work!!

Think i'll have to leave the single-leg stuff until the incline press is available for a little while!