Page 103 of 131 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1305

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I tried out single-leg squats for first time tonight... definitely needs major work!!

Think i'll have to leave the single-leg stuff until the incline press is available for a little while!
    It's easy to overwork your hip flexors and your deep glutes/piriformis, i stay away from them. Step ups with a kettlebell in hand are ok for me, it's a more natural movement.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    When I reached 2 x body weight (on the bar) when doing conventional squats last year, I realised that although my legs could have taken more, my back wouldn't. At this point, I switched to single squats with 1.1 x body weight on the bar.

The problem with this is technique, or rather my lack of it, which is not helped by having one leg noticeable stronger than the other. For safety reasons I am doing this between to metal shelving systems, which are rated to 180kg per shelf, which is just as well as I am still wobbling - although this is slowly improving.

I have also tried pistol squats, which also require more co-ordination skill than I currently have, and I have attached a link below to a Runners World article for anyone who's interested. As a no-equipment, safe exercise it's worth looking at.

https://www.runnersworld.com/trainin...-pistol-squat/
    Not one for me, too much pressure through the articular cartilage.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Not one for me, too much pressure through the articular cartilage.
    Quite possibly so. But, if it was possible to measure the forces, probably a lot less pressure than when running downhill fast, like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Quite possibly so. But, if it was possible to measure the forces, probably a lot less pressure than when running downhill fast, like you do.
    Well, with me it seems to be the amount of knee bend that matters. Past 90deg and i get trouble.

Saturday, High Cup Nick race. Not a PB, 3mins slower than that, probably due to the headwind in the nick, but could be the old post covid crap again. Good preparation for WNTTAC, though.

Sunday, 50m on the bike up to the craven arms and back, heavy legs from high cup nick. I could quite easily have spent the day relaxing, but that's not the racing way.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Saturday, High Cup Nick race. Not a PB, 3mins slower than that, probably due to the headwind in the nick, but could be the old post covid crap again. Good preparation for WNTTAC, though.

Sunday, 50m on the bike up to the craven arms and back, heavy legs from high cup nick. I could quite easily have spent the day relaxing, but that's not the racing way.
    I've ridden past the Craven Arms three times this week but I didn't see your streak of light.

What bike are you riding? (since I look at the bike first rather than the rider usually all covered in black?)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I've ridden past the Craven Arms three times this week but I didn't see your streak of light.

What bike are you riding? (since I look at the bike first rather than the rider usually all covered in black?)
    I park it round the back up against David's bamboo bushes, it's away from unwanted attention there and it's unlikely someone will deem their need for it to be greater than mine. It's a mainly white Dolan Prefissimatori or whatever, with full mudguards.

90 good form squats followed by 30 reps to almost failure on the inclined leg press, 160kg. I'm not going to pass 30 set reps on this, i might need to split into 2 sets say 25,15.

Midweek fartlek tonight, 5k/395', took the mudclaws which was a good job as they were needed. Just about enough traction for the fast sectors.

Black Combe race yesterday, 8.1m/3300', went badly wrong on the descent and squandered a chance to get a good shout in for the descent prize. I've decided it doesn't really suit me, there's too much tourist path. Good prep for WNTTAC, which is getting close now.