Page 119 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1305

Thread: mr b's comeback

Half castle carr today, 6.6m/1540', even saw the castle this time. It was a stronger field and difficult to keep track of who was the leading vet, I had to run really hard just to stay in touch in the first 30mins, but predictably got dropped.

Steady 6m with horsforth harriers on tuesday; boring. Tried to make it live a bit with some conversation about who thought it was a good idea to have Jews and Palestinians living in each other's pockets, as i'm not of the right vintage to know these things. It didn't go down too well.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Steady 6m with horsforth harriers on tuesday; boring. Tried to make it live a bit with some conversation about who thought it was a good idea to have Jews and Palestinians living in each other's pockets, as i'm not of the right vintage to know these things. It didn't go down too well.
    My group is a real mix of ages.... with our club runners ranging from early 20's up to myself at 41. Then the uni students who are i guess 18-21.

Sometimes i find myself waiting at the start with just the uni students, and by golly it can be hard to get conversation out of them.

I'm by no means the most outgoing person in the universe, but its hard to remember that some of them are just out of school really. Usually once they're back for their 2nd year they start to chat a bit more. Everyone is really friendly but there's still a little bit of social grouping of the Godiva lot and the two universities.

50m on the bike today, up to the craven arms and back. I'm full of fresher's flu so it was one of those days where everyone is a wanker, just an ill tempered drag of an outing. The craven arms is hosting a beer festival so there were about 25 beers to choose from. Lots of stones on the lanes and nearly got taken off by another not very observant driver at the Devonshire arms roundabout.

7.5m/1500' yesterday on the bolton abbey estate, a recce of the run bolton abbey 10m route which i think i'll have a crack at; though it looks to be 9.5m according to MMap, with an extra 500' climb. The low path between the pavillion and the strid was a total disaster; heaving with people looking at objects in trees and filling out flipping score cards. I hope the races aren't going to be hampered in this way.

Kenyan hills with horsforth harriers last night. 3x8min up and downs all held at a comfortable 3 strides/breath pace. Total of 4.5m in all, hit my calves quite hard.

No Thursday session this week, calves not recovered fully. Bramley parkrun this morning, 21.04, another underwhelming run, but I felt like I set off at a good pace and kept it level, even overtaking the guy in front which is strange as I'm normally the one getting overtaken.

50m ride up to the craven arms and back for the afternoon. I'd planned on only having 2 pints, but sacked it off and had 3. I might not bother with Buttermere shepherds tomorrow, the forecast is crap and the valley floors will be flooded, I can't see the rain stopping until the evening, the further north you are the worse it will be. A training run for the Bolton abbey 10m will probably be a dry one.

I love it how some people just shout and ball sometimes. I parked up in my usual spot at storiths, just above the final s bend down to the ford, in a layby on the left. I got out and as I was acclimatising myself I heard a faint yell ring out over the dale, it sounded like "you can't park there". Half a minute or so later it happened again, and I noticed some guy with a dog in the distance. I paused my preparations and got ready for whatever he had planned. He stopped about 10yds away and carried on yelling that it was a passing place, I said "no it's not it's a parking place". This exchange went on for another few repeats before he claimed I was selfish and having collected his wife, set off back up the hill. I waited around in case he came back in his car, but he didn't.

So anyway, 9.5m/1650' round the full route of the Bolton abbey 10m. My calves are constantly killing for some reason and it was a bit of a drag. Afterwards I had tea, cake and 3 eggs scrambled on 2 toast at the all new buffers. They have bikes upstairs now not trains, and 2 wood burning stoves. The shouting man was not seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I love it how some people just shout and ball sometimes. I parked up in my usual spot at storiths, just above the final s bend down to the ford, in a layby on the left. I got out and as I was acclimatising myself I heard a faint yell ring out over the dale, it sounded like "you can't park there". Half a minute or so later it happened again, and I noticed some guy with a dog in the distance. I paused my preparations and got ready for whatever he had planned. He stopped about 10yds away and carried on yelling that it was a passing place, I said "no it's not it's a parking place". This exchange went on for another few repeats before he claimed I was selfish and having collected his wife, set off back up the hill. I waited around in case he came back in his car, but he didn't.
    Wish I'd been there.

If memory serves there are Passing Place signs on that road. Presumably installed by the Duke so his peasants are not delayed whilst attending to their duties.

So one might conclude - No sign. No problem.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was involved in a bit of an altercation today at the half marathon re vehicles...

There's been signs up around Cov about road closures for over a month... and still people just driving down closed roads the wrong way and getting stuck, then having a go at the poor volunteers. Saw probably 20 incidents of it in my wanderings today.

One guy decided to get out of his car and have a real go at one volunteer who was in his 70's.... i decided it was time to step in, and reminded him that he'd clearly gone through a road closed sign back down the road, as i'd just ran past it 10mins previous, and its hardly the volunteer's fault that the council have closed off all the roads.

I also took a mouthful of abuse and i think he was weighing up whether to have a pop at me... however he eventually got back in his car and turned round.