Page 129 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1305

Thread: mr b's comeback

50m on the bike today, up to the red lion in burnsall and back. I'm only shitting, it was the craven arms, obviously. Dark clouds were seen over whithill and it was drizzle all the way back. I had a sticky ginger pudding with custard and two pints of ale. On the way back I got stuck behind a front loader coming out of the village which turned out to be Ted Mason on some type of mission; no doubt some sheep somewhere stood to benefit from it. People keep asking me where I've cycled from when I'm in the ale house. They seem surprised to learn I'm from Leeds and find it to be some sort of minor endurance exercise miracle.

KWL Giggleswick yesterday, 3.9m/440', very good conditions. I have a feeling the conditions didn't result in a fast time, my second lap was awful and only the descents really counted for anything; and there are but 2 of those and they're short. My left ankle isn't taking the strain very well, issues with that are coming back again. At the pre pandemic peak of my running i was very close to sub 28 for this one, if i'm sub 30 i've had a very good day.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

50m up to the craven arms and back today, the chill is right down to the bones. Only 2 pints of ale, as with the cost of a sticky toffee on top of that, it's getting expensive. I can have 3 if it's chips to eat, they are cheaper. I've noticed a lot of people wash their winter bikes more than I do. I've also noticed a lot of people have no balls when getting round traffic and are very polite, I regularly use the wrong side if it's clear, the middle is ruined and full of punctures.

I don't really want to bother with KWL whitestones tomorrow, no facilities to get dry etc and another storm.

No KWL today, after all i'm not on twatter so i won't hear of cancellations. After Sallows a couple of years ago in storm desmond i vowed never again. After a miserable race not being able to see where i was going, that Ray guy from Helm did one of his specials on me in the last quarter mile and i lost the will to live. After 2.5h in a red hot car i was still freezing when i got home; my hands went numb about 20mins into the journey and never came back. It's all gravy if you're racing for category points, but it's crap otherwise.

Bolton Abbey 7.5 today, 7.5m/1600'. Left the house having forgotten to have any breakfast, just a couple of gobfulls of last night's chips warmed in the microwave, so had to swing past the washburn heritage centre to address my hunger. Tea and a coffee cake, and a piece of Jean's millionaire's shortbread (a cyclist's special) to take out on the run with me. The rain wasn't that bad, but it blew through my smock and chilled me a bit. The surprise patches of ice on hen stones were numerous.

I'm struggling to work out what they have achieved in Kex Gill thus far. The road is still crap and there is no sign of a bypass. They have made a fantastic job of totally obliterating the woodland around the beck, though, so there'll be a load of creatures with no habitat now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    50m up to the craven arms and back today, the chill is right down to the bones. Only 2 pints of ale, as with the cost of a sticky toffee on top of that, it's getting expensive. I can have 3 if it's chips to eat, they are cheaper. I've noticed a lot of people wash their winter bikes more than I do. I've also noticed a lot of people have no balls when getting round traffic and are very polite, I regularly use the wrong side if it's clear, the middle is ruined and full of punctures.

I don't really want to bother with KWL whitestones tomorrow, no facilities to get dry etc and another storm.
    A good choice - one of the dullest fell events I ever took part in - up to a big boggy field, around the perimeter clockwise, then back much the same way. For some reason I did it two years in a row.

Just initiated my own comeback after some rock’n’roll in my mind post lockdown etc. First run of 2024 (& 2022 & 2023) was enlightening. Not far but amusing. Running at Zone-2 pace with a Zone-4 heart rate. It’s a whole new world of parameters at the moment!! No heart attack and only 9kgs to shed, doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Man Home View Post
    Just initiated my own comeback after some rock’n’roll in my mind post lockdown etc. First run of 2024 (& 2022 & 2023) was enlightening. Not far but amusing. Running at Zone-2 pace with a Zone-4 heart rate. It’s a whole new world of parameters at the moment!! No heart attack and only 9kgs to shed, doable.
    My experiences with lung phlegm trouble are that your legs know how fast they should be going, but your aerobic system can't keep up. I've got a flipping ECG coming up next month, seems like a waste of time to me.

Just make plateau without an injury. From memory the calves suffer most.

Good Luck LMH.

Keep us updated!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Ah Tregarth person. Earthly paradise and a decent degree of separation from Bethesda!
    Good luck, hope you will be topping out on Moel y Ci soon.

Trying to rest my left ankle a bit so missed tuesday, but a straight 5k last night followed by my Little Whernside BM run today.

routemap32.jpg

The wind was gale force coming down the valley and the normally quick blast along the track to the lodge was a bit energy sapping. Nice views from the top of dead man's hill before a knee deep bog drenching in the col heading to little whernside. The peat hags are getting weathered a lot on little whernside, so there is quite a lot of hessian dams and restoration work up there. A classic pathless fell descent back to angram dam, a route worthy of a race really. 7.2m/1230'.

The footbridge at the top end of angram is closed until further notice.