Page 14 of 131 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Midweek run on thursday 30th- Local XC loop, 2.5m/290' no tape. Did some dips on my right leg in the gym with 20kg in my hand too, didn't do too much damage but won't be doing it again.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Today's run- just a run, 6.5m/1000'

I don't really know where to go next to progress forward. I've got the choice of more distance or more climb, but i'm not sure which one to go for. I just went out for a run today, no real purpose or direction in it, just over from Parcevall Hall to Grimwith via Nussey Knott and back via Troller's Gill. I've dropped the use of Luekotape completely and aim to lose K Tape next week and see what happens, i need to see some symptoms from some specific activities if i'm to resume the tape for now. Midweek runs seem to be having no ill-effect, i might just trot around for a few more weeks and see where i end up, no need to rush anything really.

Today's run, the 35th run back not counting some bike rides- The Fairy Hills, 3.5m/960', no tape

routeprofile13.jpg routemap13.jpg

A testing out and back from The Fountaine Inn, Linton...obviously...The routes i've been doing that have been hitting 6m or so seem to be giving me symptoms of ITB syndrome; though i know it's not because it's my unstable hip over-recruiting the Tensor, and too much of that for too long seems to be causing aggro. K Tape will make it ease off over the course of a few days, but with the bofra season upon me i don't need to be knocking on the door of 7 miles so it's pointless milage.

I wanted to run all the way up Elbolton, but it wasn't happening, it was steeper than i'd remembered. I almost made it up but the gradient got the better of me. I found out on the way up that if you fully extend your leg when you push off you get increased usage of the VMO muscle; there's probably books that could have told me that years ago but never mind. I refused my customary stop at the cairn and pushed on down the descent to the sheepfold, a new descent to me and one full of rabbit holes and shake holes, couldn't really get to full speed. The bogs and gullies below Stebden broke me to a walk on a couple of occasions and the sheep were laughing at me, either that or they wanted me to produce some scran from somewhere. A stop at the top to stretch- calves were burning- and a brain off brakes off back into bog country then back to the boozer over the fields. A pint of Wharfedale Blonde and a pea and ham soup.

Sedbergh Gala next weekend. Previous best time is 25.41 from way back in the day and i'd love to better it, it would see me at a level of fitness i've not been at for a very long time.

Midweek run last night- Local XC loop, 2.5m/290' currently hampered by flu.

Sedbergh Gala race today, 2.5m/1200'

It will be interesting to see if i make it out for a midweek after that, it was a bit of a step up and i've had to ice pack my right knee a couple of times. It was going fairly well until the last 300' of the climb and after the turn i was plagued by the old jelly legs. Couldn't really find any speed on the way down due to my ankle stability being severely affected, no point taking any risks. Managed to keep in touch with the ladies race and watched a fine battle between Emma Hopkinson and a Helm Hill sproglet unfold, not sure who won in the end.

Midweek run- Local XC loop, 2.5m/290'

I've got some soreness building into my right knee for sure. It's the Quads Tendon that's affected and i'll just have to see what happens and how fast it goes away; the step up to running fast and steep has brought it on. I had my eye on the Bamford Sheepdog Trials BS race for monday so two days of rest to come for now, it might be a bike day on monday yet.

26m ride out to Ilkley and back today, got a coffee in Ilkley Cycles which took 20mins to arrive, rubbish service. Still suffer from Plica Syndrome whenever i go for a ride, maybe it's because i don't ride a lot and choose to run instead.

No midweek run and only a quick blast round the midweek XC loop on saturday, last week's bike ride left me with some pretty substantial kneecap pain. The muscle recruitment has got to be different with cycling and i'll just have to face up to the fact i'm not ready yet. I need to keep the running ticking over and the climbs below 1000', just stick to what i know i can handle.

I opted for a cycle yesterday, only 20-25 miles, but pretty hard due to the conditions.... first bike ride for months, and boy could I feel it in the hamstrings when I ran tonight...

Bike is really good for endurance and low output general cardio work, it's a vital tool and one you're crap without unless you want to run for miles on end.