Page 15 of 131 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Was trawling an old thread on orthotics and saw a reply from you on the subject. You seemed quite happy with them then and clearly there's been some water under the bridge since 2010...but are you still using them? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mattp View Post
    Was trawling an old thread on orthotics and saw a reply from you on the subject. You seemed quite happy with them then and clearly there's been some water under the bridge since 2010...but are you still using them? Just curious.
    Yes. I've had a proper gait analysis since and the result was marginally in favour of orthotics. Yes your ankles will move around when you're fell running which i think is the basis of most people's skepticism, but the support given to the arch of the foot is also part of it. For my money orthotics should only be prescribed following a thorough gait analysis and not something to be tried on the offchance. The ones i have are bespoke made with bits added in and taken off here and there dependinbg upon where support is needed. Some physios like moulded rubber ones as they last forever, but my podiatrist prefers ones that wear out after a couple of years because you are always re-assessing the need and responding to changes in gait brought about by age and training/rehab.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Local XC loop tonight, 2.5m/290'. Reversed the route for sharper climbs, same distance, same route.

Today's run- Bofra Kettlewell, 1.5m/600'

I was feeling a bit of right knee soreness from Sedbergh during warm-up, i've had a hard week going up and down ladders at work and i always get hit by that sort of thing. Still running without tape.

I've had some prescribed orthotics on the NHS. Still wearing them in so the verdicts out but good to hear that they are helping you.

Local XC loop tonight, 2.5m/290'. Back to taping again to see if i can get over the problem that started at Sedbergh without any changes in training frequency. Full mashings tonight, Luekotape and K Tape, full mashings every time until i'm back on track and no Hawkswick Dash this weekend, it's looking like a lap of Thruscross instead.

I had fun at Kettlewell last weekend, but the lure of proper racing is hard to resist and it takes its toll on injured joints. It'll pay me to stay away for a weekend and have a good shot at an entry for Buckden Pike.

No run today, time to get a grip and man up to the fact i've overcooked it and start back again once i'm free of this fairly constant soreness. Not too sure when i'll be back, i'm starting to lose my discipline especially in race situations, just like a boozehound talking himself into another drink.

Back aht t'neet. Local XC loop- 2.5m/290', steady, easy way round. Ate plenty of flies.

Yesterday's run- Strid Wood, 5m/650'

Rubbish run, on piss both nights of the weekend. Staggered round, but maybe taking it easy for a week isn't too bad after the recent bad spell. Can definitely wave goodbye to a good performance at Weeton Show.

Yesterday's run- Strid Wood, 5m/650'

A slightly better run, towing a bit, but managed to maintain a reasonable pace. Still got the remnants of the right knee flare-up nagging me, even on trails and at well below tempo speed which is the speed i like to run at on this terrain. I sneaked a ride into work last week which was then paid for with no midweek run; i'm a lot fitter aerobically, i can tell by the height of the gears i'm spinning, but the kneecap cartilage thing still has me pinned back to about 60% and it's around its 2yr anniversary now.