Page 21 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The floor was thick with leaves which was bothering me a lot, as all the stones peeping out of the floor were hidden from view, and you don't want to hit one of those. .
    Thats exactly what I did last week, running off the moor, head torching, running too fast, chatting and being cocky. Always a bad combination.

My cuts still hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Thats exactly what I did last week, running off the moor, head torching, running too fast, chatting and being cocky. Always a bad combination.

My cuts still hurt.
    Hi Emily, cuts heal and i wish you a speedy recovery, it's joint twists and turns that concern me the most as damage from a bad one of those can take years to get rid of completely. I think it was the racing driver Niki Lauda that used to bahave very sensibly off the track and not take risks on public roads with his cars. It wasn't that he was risk averse, he just liked to manage risk very sensibly and cleverly. I was kicking myself a bit when i realised how slow i'd gone today, but there was no good reason to take a risk or be complacent, i can come back in the winter when all the leaves have blown away. Nice to hear from you again, Luke.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Hi Emily, cuts heal and i wish you a speedy recovery, it's joint twists and turns that concern me the most as damage from a bad one of those can take years to get rid of completely.
    I was just thinking of starting a new thread under a title such as "The most dangerous time of year". For anyone whose running routes include woodland (as mine do), ankles are in severe danger of being sprained when all those protruding roots, rocks, etc are concealed under a blanket of leaves. Ironically however, I went over on my ankle in April this year: I was so full of the joys of Spring on a downhill stretch through a wood, that I forgot to keep looking where I was going! Fortunately, when I landed on the root I was sufficiently relaxed that I didn't do any serious damage.

Midweek XC tonight, 2.5m/290'

Quads Tendonitis has come back in my right knee again, why can't it just heal up and go away FFS.

Dunnerdale yesterday, 5m/1800', piss wet through as usual

I had a much better run this time round and barely got held up at all on the descents. The first washed out one off Ravens Crag always sees me slowed up a bit because i can't climb fast enough to get clear. I got a flyer of a start and fluked a place on the front row with the Addisons; it was a shock how fast they set off and i was blowing a bit to keep up, but as soon as the hills came i was fishfood. Some pain under the left kneecap kicked in half way through, which i didn't need. I got a very good pace off someone all the way to the final descent, and ran the last mile so hard my hamstrings cramped up by the hall. I brought a worn out pair of shoes by mistake which was stupid, and it's those sorts of mistakes that cost you places. I don't know if i've got that pb i was after, the double whammy of knee issues was a problem.

Super Moderator
    Well done Luke. 6 months ago you'd have dreamt about yesterday. Keep on keeping on lad . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Just seen the Dunnerdale results, 53.05, a full 3 mins adrift of where i needed to be. I'm just going to have to sit on this speed problem for a bit and just keep running, it's hard not to resent yourself really.

Today's run- Badger Bar Blast, 7m/2100'

Racing legs are nowhere to be found, i'm just not able to do enough of the hard grind to race comfortably. Knees seem to have got better, recovery times have come down a lot compared to 6mths ago. I might abandon the weights, it's been a bit troublesome.

I had an interesting conversation with the Pilates instructor a couple of weeks ago. She asked me if i thought Pilates had had any impact on my running problems/injuries; i had to say no because to the best of my knowledge it hasn't, though the system has no doubt strenthened me and will be contributing to my performance in ways i'm not aware of. I was specific about the fact that The Clam has had no effect whatsoever on my Glutes Medius recruitment, and that i consider it a complete waste of time for runners with unstable hips. The only Glutes Medius exercises that have worked for me are the ones that act down the entire tissue chain, and are performed in a standing position; these exercises came courtesy of the Podiatrist in Wetherby.

Midweek XC on thursday, 2.5m/290'

I'm just going to go for the XC route midweek, the fartlek route is difficult to run at the proper speeds because of it being dark.