Page 32 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Midweek Fartlek tonight, 2.9m/350'

Bit of a bomb dropped at sports massage last night- my groin and right thigh pain could be linked and could be an 'Inguinal disturbance', so hernia or something. Ultrasound scan is needed either way.

I think i'm losing speed on the fartlek route, as a consequence of not parkrunning in the short term.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Today's run- James Thorn, 5m/1600'

I had quite a good descent and an average climb, and came in a reasonable position. I put in 15m on the bike yesterday as i've got 3 rides into work this week whilst the Porsche garage empties my bank account, and i felt it today. Articular cartilage was sore in the right knee and the inguinal thing was a bit of a problem too; i could have taped my knees, but didn't think i'd needed to. The plica syndrome is worse in my right knee for not having been on the bike for ages, i could really do with a ride once a week just to keep this issue at bay. All in all i'm a bit of a wreck again and i reckon i owe it all to the Leeds 10k, i need to find some stability.

An improvised 7.8m/1600' from the cavendish pavillion this afternoon. 2 good hard climbs included, Hammerthorn Gate and the big climb from the wood edge up onto the plateau below Simon's Seat. It looks like i'm clear of the problem that was bothering my left knee post-10k, but the 'inguinal disturbance' is still causing issues and it's far worse when i'm biking. It would be nice to get to the Weasdale on saturday if it's feasible, but 3 days of biking to work has taken its toll on my knees.

Midweek XC tonight, 2.5m/290'

I'm going to have to drop from the fartlek to the XC route until my injury problems are sussed out, that aswell as having dropped parkrun from my schedule. I've been getting some persistent soreness around my right kneecap and all into my right quad. The physio who does the sports massage says i'm very tight through the entire lateral section of my right quad. The hope is that this is linked to whatever this inguinal injury is, and that sorting that will get me right again. An ultrasound scan should be coming up soon. I was hoping to keep parkrun going and get some mediums in before the year's end, but instead i'm finding myself backing off in order to be able to keep 2 sessions a week going.

Today's run- a 7.2m/1400' thrutch around the moors below Simon's Seat, all runnable.

Looks like i'm just ticking over for now, the back of my right leg was really sore today and it was a constant nuisance. The soreness is moving around from place to place, last week it was in my lateral quad area, i can't wait to get this inguinal ultrasound scan then it might shed some light on the issue. It's a drag to be just ticking over and not actually hitting it hard and training properly. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that if the inguinal problem gets sorted out then the leg pains will disappear of their own accord. Harrumph. I'm going to go for some voodooo flossing on the thigh twice a day this week, see what effect it has.

Midweek XC tonight, 2.5m/290'

I think harder, flatter surfaces are causing me more leg pain than actual fell running, so i think i'm going to have to either drop the midweek run or change to uphill only. I can probably rep on one of the steeper local roads, it's worth a try as the trails are murder in winter. Ultrasound scan is booked, fingers crossed i'm only dealing with one problem.

It's all been a bit quiet recently due to a horrific dose of flu, but i think the lergy is on the way out. I did attempt to run the Cilcain Show race at the weekend; my climb was so poor i was in two minds whether to stop for a look at the view off Jubilee Tower, but then someone shouted at me to keep going so i obeyed orders. I could have walked the last half mile into the finish, it was murder; the course isn't bad all in all, a tricky descent was slowing up quite a lot of runners.

I mistakenly attempted to register myself in the teddy bear parachuting contest instead of the fell race when i arrived. I was asked what the bear's name was and almost just gave my own name, putting it down to some strange local custom of calling fell racers 'bears' in this quiet backwater. I questioned it and eventually arrived at the right tent.

Terrible run yesterday, i'm not even going to bother to log it as a training session. I just couldn't breath, i felt totally exhausted and kept stopping to rest, i think it must be the lergy again. The midweek run is changing to an uphill only pavement run as i'm pretty convinced the flatter the terrain is the worse my right thigh hurts in the days after, climb seems to have no impact on it at all and i'm hoping this might be a diagnostic clue at some stage. Things are a bit rough at the minute.

Had a run up Ingleborough today via Park Fell, along the ridge, 7.2m/1860'. A much better effort than last week, almost ran all the way up Park Fell. It's a nice route, the run off is fast and life-affirming in places. Morecambe Bay visible from the summit.

One 8m/1200'ish ACW lap of Thruscross today, beginning from Fewston carpark. It's really now just a matter of keeping it ticking over until i have some answers and a plan of action for this Inguinal disturbance problem. My scan is tommorrow so maybe i'll get some news. The canoes were out on the Washburn and it was excellent to see one capsize.