Page 37 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Cheers, Andy, same to you and Stef.

Today's run was a good example of how easily bad decisions are made. After having run 2 days on the trot with only one days rest afterwards, i went out and did 7m/1500' at Bolton Abbey today in spite of warning signs from the moment i got out of bed. Unexplained lateral knee pain, more than likely caused by muscle spasm in TFL, more than likely down to slight hip irritation. No time to properly release it off, but i went out and ran a medium distance route anyway, despite knowing better and being fully aware of the pathology of this type of pain. Niggles from the off led to soreness and finally i dropped to a walk with a mile left to go. Should have just gone for a walk, but the weather was so good it had to be a run; you sometimes can't help but throw caution to the wind in these situations despite knowing better.

On a more entertaining note, i was walking back to the wooden bridge on the top path in Strid Wood, and decided the bottom path would be quicker, but there wasn't a path down so descending the steeply wooded banking was the only option. It started well, but the fluffy Terra Preta soon gave way to that awful, clogging, light brown clay crap. I was hurtling downhill with fully clogged studs, flailing away like a stricken Tea Clipper; i may as well have been wearing rollerskates. True to proper fell running tradition i just sped up hoping to ski it and stay upright, like you do with scree. It was pointless trying to brake, the only way was with more speed. I crashed through a thicket of nasty whipping bushes and burst out onto the bottom path half on my arse and half on my left hand, much to the concern of bank holiday walkers who whooped and cooed as i appeared out of the undergrowth. I walked away seemingly unscathed, but soon realised i had reopened a glass cut wound on my hand and had to go the the pavillion to get some steristrips. I'd also been whipped on the eyebrow quite hard by a twig at some point and was bleeding there too. I'm proud of myself though, i never gave in once in the face of certain peril, and realising i couldn't slow down simply just sped up and went on instinct. I think i earned a badge today, certainly earned tea and cake at buffers.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    On a more entertaining note, i was walking back to the wooden bridge on the top path in Strid Wood, and decided the bottom path would be quicker, but there wasn't a path down so descending the steeply wooded banking was the only option. It started well, but the fluffy Terra Preta soon gave way to that awful, clogging, light brown clay crap. I was hurtling downhill with fully clogged studs, flailing away like a stricken Tea Clipper; i may as well have been wearing rollerskates. True to proper fell running tradition i just sped up hoping to ski it and stay upright, like you do with scree. It was pointless trying to brake, the only way was with more speed. I crashed through a thicket of nasty whipping bushes and burst out onto the bottom path half on my arse and half on my left hand, much to the concern of bank holiday walkers who whooped and cooed as i appeared out of the undergrowth. I walked away seemingly unscathed, but soon realised i had reopened a glass cut wound on my hand and had to go the the pavillion to get some steristrips. I'd also been whipped on the eyebrow quite hard by a twig at some point and was bleeding there too. I'm proud of myself though, i never gave in once in the face of certain peril, and realising i couldn't slow down simply just sped up and went on instinct. I think i earned a badge today, certainly earned tea and cake at buffers.
    What a disappointing conclusion to your story. I thought you were going to tell us how your downhill rush ended up with you leaping across the Strid.

Won't be leaping anywhere for a couple of weeks, it's worse that i had initially thought.

Just about walking properly now, though still got a half numb leg. Diagnosis is nerve compression caused by cramping and spasm in Psoas.

Banned
    Good to know you can walk again.
    Any biking Luke?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Just about walking properly now, though still got a half numb leg. Diagnosis is nerve compression caused by cramping and spasm in Psoas.
    I'm sorry to hear that your recovery from the Strid Wood disaster is so slow. Your last post on the Depression thread looked quite positive, so I hope you're still making good progress on that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Good to know you can walk again.
    Any biking Luke?
    Dunno mate, it's the next thing on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that your recovery from the Strid Wood disaster is so slow. Your last post on the Depression thread looked quite positive, so I hope you're still making good progress on that problem.
    It's all pretty slow at the moment, my head's just about above water.

From what i've been told Psoas can react very unpredictably to hip injuries. It can be very troublesome to settle down and can cause secondary problems such as Inguinal disturbances and the nerve compression i've got.

Well, 2 short bike rides this weekend, 8m sat and 10m sun. Physio's orders to see what happens. Hip looks to be coping well, right Plica is going to need some work.

Super Moderator
    Good work Luke
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Fast ride from Horsforth to Otley and back on saturday, sort of 12m ish. Took the Alan, it was getting some attention in Waitrose while i queued for my latte.