Page 42 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Over the years I've learnt I need to do a lot of hamstring stretches - typically a few minutes after each run. This has mainly been to avoid pulling my lower back. So it's interesting that it also benefits knees.
    I can't remember what it's called, but stretching a muscle group will over time relieve long standing tension in the opposing one. So- Hams/quads, glutes/TFL and psoas, adductors/abductors. I was told it your body's way of balancing up, it tenses the opposite rather than releasing the tensed one...if that makes sense.

I always pull into the last little bit of a double leg hamstring stretch by tensing my quads, this automatically loosens up the hamstrings during the stretch.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

5k speed endurance today. I've felt recently like my aerobic system can't keep up with my legs, and i've had a sore throat on and off and a chesty dryness. I've been wondering if i've had a visit from old Toyota Corona virus and i happen to be one of the ones that don't show classic symptoms.

I'm glad of the positive feedback to my program, it's not often people aspire to run category B. I wonder what the author of the book The Intelligent Athlete thinks?

9m speed endurance today, right after a Saturday shift at work, got it in before the rain.

I switched to an acw loop of Thruscross reservoir starting and finishing at Swinsty car park. This is a really nice route so it's a pity I made it such a ball buster. 2m increasing tempo up to about 85% along the valley floor up to the dam wall, up the dam path asap and step it up to over 90%. As I cross the dam, this is the first point at which I'll feel what sort of a session it's going to be. The route kicks up slightly to the flags and I just hang on keeping the legs going fast. The next gradient up to the moor is taken at a max out pace, I have to lower my turnover to get full extension of the leg as I take off, this recruits the VMO more which is better for generating climbing power. The flatish moor has numerous undulations and I'm all in all the way to the Washburn. The steep climb out of the gill is run all the way and I force the speed up as soon as I strike the ridge. It's fairly undulating for the rest of the way and keeping your core in and your shoulders down is now quite hard at a workrate of over 90% when you're knackered. Drop back to a hard tempo after the dam.

I insist on doing it acw because it's harder that way, the multiple sharp climbs wear you down and make you commit more.

50m craven arms and back today. Dispite the extra hour in bed I still managed to set off late. Managed to swill down 4 pints of ale before setting off back to Leeds, I actually think this is too much, 3 is the ideal amount along with some chips. My legs felt a bit dead on the way back, probably due to me being pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    50m craven arms and back today. Dispite the extra hour in bed I still managed to set off late. Managed to swill down 4 pints of ale before setting off back to Leeds, I actually think this is too much, 3 is the ideal amount along with some chips. My legs felt a bit dead on the way back, probably due to me being pissed.

I did similar on Fuerteventura a few years back... 50 mile circuit round the northern part of the island. Stopped for a Pizza and "liquid lunch" in the capital... then got back onto the bike for the 25 miles back along the coast, into a headwind... just about managed to avoid puking and/or swerving into the traffic.

2/3 gives you a nice kick, more is just a bit pointless

Geoff Clarke

Legend, all in the name of science too.

Steady 5.5m with H Harriers last night. Was down to go with a group running on the Chevin, but i don't like rancid tourist hotspots in the dark and rain so i joined a group going along Kirkstall Road instead. Found out a piece of local history; what i thought was a valve house is actually the old charging station for the trams.

[QUOTE=mr brightside;668617]Legend, all in the name of science too.

Legend? I thought he was more of a Prat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;668624]
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Legend, all in the name of science too.

Legend? I thought he was more of a Prat!
    I think he's both.
    Geoff Clarke