Page 49 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

No run last weekend due to car work, I decided a rest would be sensible. I went out for a steady 4m at warmup pace this evening, and was really bothered by back pain and left ITB tightness. This thing of left lumbar problems associating with left ITB and lateral knee problems is becoming a big feature, and gets worse the longer the Pilates place has to stay closed. I'm now doing daily yoga and functional strength exercises in the lounge, but I don't expect this problem to shift quickly. I think I might end up changing my training pattern to avoid a repetitive strain problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    What speed are you doing those 1/4 mile reps MrB...?
    Ok so, Carr Bridge Drive reps tonight, 0.25m/ 110', 7 reps. Times as follows:

Timed on my Hanhart mechanical stopwatch, anti-magnetic and auto compensating features inbuilt. Maybe that means that when it's innards are flailing around that it still keeps good time...

Interesting...

Really we need someone with brains like Anthonykay to assess how a 110' rep translates to additional effort on a short rep...

I'd do a flat rep in say 80secs, so 107-117secs does seem very quick.

They are consistent too!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Interesting...

Really we need someone with brains like Anthonykay to assess how a 110' rep translates to additional effort on a short rep...

I'd do a flat rep in say 80secs, so 107-117secs does seem very quick.

They are consistent too!
    Using my preferred formula, you should be slower by a factor of about 1.42 on the gradient of Carr Bridge Drive. So that makes 80s on the flat equivalent to about 114s on that gradient; which appears to make Travs and Mr B quite closely matched.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Using my preferred formula, you should be slower by a factor of about 1.42 on the gradient of Carr Bridge Drive. So that makes 80s on the flat equivalent to about 114s on that gradient; which appears to make Travs and Mr B quite closely matched.
    I'm like a Bowler Wildcat though, I can do those times over anything.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Bit of a crap session today, soreness creeping in down the left lateral again. Probably managed 6.5-7m with about 2000' on my old lockdown nemesis Otley Chevin. Mind you, i did take on the long steep steps up from the white house cafe and ran the lot all the way to the top, with the start point for the climb being Birdcage Walk. I've never got all the way up before without breaking to a walk. It was the final ascent of the session too, so i'd have had about 1400' in my legs already at the time.

I think i'm going to do some more yoga and strength exercises for my back tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Bit of a crap session today, soreness creeping in down the left lateral again. Probably managed 6.5-7m with about 2000' on my old lockdown nemesis Otley Chevin. Mind you, i did take on the long steep steps up from the white house cafe and ran the lot all the way to the top, with the start point for the climb being Birdcage Walk. I've never got all the way up before without breaking to a walk. It was the final ascent of the session too, so i'd have had about 1400' in my legs already at the time.

I think i'm going to do some more yoga and strength exercises for my back tonight.
    Those steps are grim! Well done.

Well, this isn't looking too good. A bit of a blast around the frozen woods tonight; back pain, left ITB pain, the same pattern again. It's time to do the sensible thing and call a halt to training so the facts can be ascertained.

What i currently know is that i have a left ITB problem that is related to left lower back pain, likely to be over-compensation based in its pathology. What i don't currently know is whether i can run, and if so how far, if i happen to be back pain free. So to answer that i'll have to have some time off to rest the ITB then probably do a test run first thing sat/sun. Every run after work seems to end in disaster, and its impossible to rid myself of back pain that late on in the day, sometimes i will wake up free of pain on a weekend.

It's a sorry time of year to be hitting the cycling hard, but it will be something to do.

I've also got my chinese acupuncturist working on it on a weekly basis. Chinese acupuncture normally works when western approaches fail.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 11-02-2021 at 08:18 PM.

38m on the bike today, a classic loop that any local forumites will know. North through Otley and over the moor, turn left to Bolton Abbey, turn left to Addingham, turn left to Otley then back to Leeds. Freezing headwind blowing up the Wharfe Valley, rubbish ave. spd.

I did a flow session with a friend who is a PT yesterday. My back is weak and inflexible, there's work to do there.

44m on the bike today. I can feel the condition oozing out of my calves, it's going to be a total pain in the arse to get running again. I took the loop around Kex Gill going via Fewston and Stone Houses, nearly got knocked off by some stupid suburbian tourist going round a corner on the wrong side. It's always the same demographic.

I'm having weekly trigger point sessions on my back and glutes, it's painful.